• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frequently Broken Heater

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lttlrunr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hi,

About one month ago, I turned the heat on in my apartment for the first time. Since then, the heat has ceased working 3 times. Each time, I had to call my landlord and have maintenance come to fix it. Currently (partially because I am on the third floor), the temperature in the apartment only drops to about 55 degrees when the heat goes out overnight, and between 60 and 70 when it goes out during the day (depending on how sunny it is that day). The problem is, it's only December and it's not very cold outside yet. If this continues breaking once a week, I'm going to be very cold come January through March.

On each occasion, my landlord has sent maintenance to fix the heat within 8 hours of my notification that it has broken. Maintenance claims I just got unlucky, and it'll work each time. I appreciate that they do not let my heat stay off for very long at any time. I also realize that this is not entirely their fault; however, I pay $900 a month for one bedroom, and I expect to be able to heat it without having to buy extra electric space heaters or call them almost once a week because the heater broke. (Gas heat is included in rent. Electricity is not.) As far as I know, I am the only apartment with this problem. What are my rights here? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle this?

Thank you for your advice!

Gail in Georgia

Your rights are to keep contacting your landlord and requesting that repairs be made when the heater goes out.

Their responsibility is to respond to your request for repairs within a reasonable amount of time. Within 8 hours would certainly be considered reasonable in a court of law.

This would be different if they did not respond to your request for repairs at all.

Gail

BL

I once lived in a 4 Apt. house .

The furnace would cut off frequently .

Finally , I asked what do you do to get it running , instead of waiting in the cold for the maintenance or LL to come .

The LL showed me the reset button .

Finally the LL had it fixed properly .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">