• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frozen Pipes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcoup

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

The landlords of the house we rent built a bathroom on part of the back porch of the house. I came home after work and I heard water running. I found water in the batroom, on the back porch, and spilling into the basement. I turned off the water to the house and called the landlords. I left two messages and searched for the telephone number of their son, and finally got ahold of him. They sent over a plumber and he was there from about 5-10pm fixing the 5 places the pipes had burst. It has been unusually cold here in MD.

This bathrom is not connected to the heat of the rest of the house. We never use it because it is surrounded by windows and you can see through the blinds that are in there. The walls where the pipes are located are basically outside walls of the house, because they are on an enclosed, unheated porch where I discovered the windows to be missing a pane of glass.

The landlords are trying to say it is our fault that the little electric heater in that bathroom was not on. But when the plumber opened the walls to fix the pipes, there was no insulation surrounding the broken areas. How can we ensure that we are not held responsible for this and any resulting problems that may arise as a result?

BL

Check with local code enforcement on the legality of the built bathroom and also the codes on heating .

Get it in writing .

Then present them to the LL if they want you to pay for repairs , in your defense .

FarmerJ

M your posting is the third one in about 7 days regarding frozen pipes , read the others for additional info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">