• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Full Rent payment despite eviction notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JDawg3DX

What is the name of your state? NV

Hi-The complex I live in was recently sold and the new owners have given all the tenants 30 days to move. They have also stated that if rent is due during the time between now and the 30 days, that it must be paid in full. In our complex, the rent due date goes by the move in date, for example, I moved in on the 9th, so thats when my rent is due by. The date that everyone has to be out by is the 27th.
My question is this-is it legal for the owner to require for a fuill months rent or do they have to pro-rate it? I have heard from co-workers and others that it isn't legal to ask for the entire month in this situation, since it is the owners choice (and right) to evict the complex...Thank you in advnace.

acmb05

JDawg3DX said:
What is the name of your state? NV

Hi-The complex I live in was recently sold and the new owners have given all the tenants 30 days to move. They have also stated that if rent is due during the time between now and the 30 days, that it must be paid in full. In our complex, the rent due date goes by the move in date, for example, I moved in on the 9th, so thats when my rent is due by. The date that everyone has to be out by is the 27th.
My question is this-is it legal for the owner to require for a fuill months rent or do they have to pro-rate it? I have heard from co-workers and others that it isn't legal to ask for the entire month in this situation, since it is the owners choice (and right) to evict the complex...Thank you in advnace.
Do you have a lease or are you month to month? They have to abide by the lease as the new owner.

If they do make you move then you should only pay for the time you will be there. If they are making you move before your month is up then they should pro-rate it, however I would have to read your states LL/T laws.

Some states require a 30 day notice be given before the next rental payment period, in a case like that then everyone would have a different move out date.

JDawg3DX

Our lease is actually m2m, it was initially for 6 months and after that time, it converted to m2m, we have been here for almost 4 years, in fact, it would have been 4 years in Sept.

So the way I understand it, that the new owners can give 30 days effective the day the rent is due (as mentioned, for example, my due date is the 9th), if its any time less than that (the day the rent is due until the day they said they want folks out, in this case, the 27th), then it is suppossed to be prorated?

ecmst12

It is EITHER they can give exactly 30 days notice at any time, and then the rent must be pro-rated, OR they have to give you one full rental period's notice, in which case you move out at the end of the last month you pay rent for. You have to check your state laws to find out which applies to you. In no case do you have to pay rent for days when you are no longer occupying the premesis.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">