• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

furnace broken & we are very cold is landlord responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JamesRob

This is a situation that i have been dealing with on and off for 2 months. I live in the state of New Jersey and rent a single family home on campground property. I am two weeks behind in rent and my landlord is refusing to fix my furnace which provides us with heat and hot water. I have an 8 yr old son and it has been very very cold here. Now she has sent a repairman here to fix furnace and told him that she was not paying for it and that we had to pay for it and deduct for rent. Now obviously if I don't have the rent money I can't pay for my furnace to be fixed. Please respond we are freezing. My question is does she have the legal right to not get furnaced fixed? thanks for your respond

[Edited by JamesRob on 01-24-2001 at 02:17 PM]

D

djdj

Well what nice mess you gotten yourself into.....

The landlord is obligated to prove heat and hot water, but you can also pay for it an deduct it from the rent.

You can call your city's heat emergency hot line, and report the landlord, but you are going to evicted anyway, so she will have to fix it, and then she will evcit you in court, but at least you will have heat in the mean time.

Your landlord cannot make you freeze, but a fire marshall might force her to do fix it today!

So start calling till you find the right person and agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">