• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gas wasted due to broken water heater sensor – landlord to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wildmonster

Thanks much for your continued interest and advice :)

>I understood that it was visible, because you stated it was on the floor.<

Sorry I didn't mention clearly that I only saw the Sensor and loose wire when plumber opened the front panel of water heater and told me to poke my head through the opening.

>I can see your point, we don't have the timeline that you do. Did the LL think the problem had been solved after adjusting the hot water heater? <
LL has been away this week, so I haven't had a chance to sit down with him.

>When you stated that neither of you continued to pursue it, that leaves more questions for us on the forum. Such as, did the LL do a follow up? Did you tell the LL that there still was a problem? That is where I am having a problem seeing how the LL can be 100% responsible.<

LL and I did not pursue hot water (neither he nor I linked that to the gas problem). But we DID pursue gas disappearance. I took the initiative much more than he did - I called gas company repeatedly, I wrote him letters and talked to him, etc. since November. He responded by listening, saying that he'd ask around, that he was concerned, he walked around the house, etc, BUT HE DID NOT ASK PLUMBER TO COME until now.

Here's the timeline -- 1) I only realized there was a gas problem in mid-Nov when there was no gas left; 450 gals were used up. (There is no meter. Propane company comes to fill tank on their own and then bill me. They were very surprised that so much was used, and had to do an emergency filling.) 2) From that day on, every week or so, I either wrote or spoke to LL to urge him to solve this mystery. 3) He responded by saying that he understood the problem and his responsibilities of keeping everything in good order, but digging up the tank to check for leaks would be a major undertaking; he talked to gas company, etc. I think he also called plumber, but I don't know why he didn't simply tell plumber to come here to investigate. 4) Gas company also came to do pressure testing, etc. There were tons of discussions between I and gas company. I guess LL was hoping that it'd be gas company's responsibility, so he dragged his feet. 5) Last week I couldn't take it anymore and I insisted that someone HAD to come to take a look or I'd leave. So he told plumber to come. Then the sensor was found to be broken.

Hope this helps!

ENASNI

wildmonster said:
Hope this helps!

Heckfire WM... Using paragraphs helps. Your posts are very nice to read. Thank you so much for that! :)

Okay keep us updated. You should be proud of yourself and your persistence.
It is also nice to hear such good relations between LL and tenants even though your frustration factor was reaching its limit.

Kudos to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">