• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting girlfriend to move out in NJ.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JReality

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

I own a condo in Bergen County, NJ. My girlfriend lives with me and she pays me $300 a month toward living expenses (which is very small relative to the total expenses). There is no written agreement between us, and only my name is on any of the utility bills, etc. The condo is owned completely by me.

She is not very cooperative with helping out with the chores, etc. If I decide to ask her to leave, then how many days notice do I need to give her if I want her to move out, and can the notice simply be a letter asking her to leave within the required amount of days?

Is she really considered to be a tenant under NJ law?

I strongly suspect she may refuse to leave within the required amount of days (or more likely she will fail to actively find a new residence and then make excuses as to why she hasn't found a new place) If this happens, then do I need hire a lawyer to take her to court to evict, or could I simply change the locks if she fails to cooperate by moving out within the required amount days of notice?

At what point in the process would I need to involve a lawyer?

Please only respond if you are familiar with the laws in NJ.

Thanks,

J.

FarmerJ

safest bet is to treat her just like a month to month tenant who has no lease and is being asked to leave. Give her written notice sent certified mail and keep your copy of the notice and your rect from post office some where else other than at home where it will be safer. Your state govt web page landlord and tenant links will tell you how much notice she must have.

HomeGuru

JReality said:

I own a condo in Bergen County, NJ. My girlfriend lives with me and she pays me $300 a month toward living expenses (which is very small relative to the total expenses). There is no written agreement between us, and only my name is on any of the utility bills, etc. The condo is owned completely by me.

She is not very cooperative with helping out with the chores, etc. If I decide to ask her to leave, then how many days notice do I need to give her if I want her to move out, and can the notice simply be a letter asking her to leave within the required amount of days?

I strongly suspect she may refuse to leave within the required amount of days (or more likely she will fail to actively find a new residence and then make excuses as to why she hasn't found a new place) If this happens, then do I need hire a lawyer to take her to court to evict, or could I simply change the locks if she fails to cooperate by moving out within the required amount days of notice?

Thanks,

J.

**A: what if you ask and she gives you more sex? Would you still want her to move out?

Sirena7cs

I think you should just give her 30 days sex notice. But do you give it now or at the end of 30 days, would be the question?

south

Have you tried moving another girl in, that normaly does the trick :D

JReality said:

Thanks,

J.

ENASNI

Oy

JReality said:

Thanks,

J.

Don't you understand, he asked if you are familiar with the laws in NJ. He already has a Girl on the side, he does not need more sex. He just wants his house back!

LindaP777

ENASNI said:
Don't you understand, he asked if you are familiar with the laws in NJ. He already has a Girl on the side, he does not need more sex. He just wants his house back!
Now that was funny! I spewed coffee all over my keyboard! :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">