• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving 30 days notice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MPSSGT

I live in Summerville, SC, I moved into the house I currently rent. I signed a one year lease back in July 2002. I have never signed another lease agreement. I have made several appointments to renew my lease however the company kept rescheduling the date. This has been going on for 3 years. Today I took my 30 day written notice to the office and I was informed I had to give 60 days notice to get out of my lease. I need help to see if this is true. I thought after the lease was up I was a month to month renter. Please help. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:

Alaska landlord

Though you are a month to month tenant, you must still adhere to the terms of the lease. If the lease says that you must give a 60 day notice, then you are stuck with it. That is unless state law forbids such a clause.

Cvillecpm

M2M is a common misnomer....it REALLY means a periodic tenancy which means you have to provide the period of notice originally outlined in your lease that has gone 60 days to 60 days.

You can leave at any time provided you maintain the property until the expiration of your 60 day notice.

acmb05

Though you are a month to month tenant, you must still adhere to the terms of the lease. If the lease says that you must give a 60 day notice, then you are stuck with it. That is unless state law forbids such a clause.
If the lease has expired they are considered month to month renters and as such are bound by the SC LL/T laws which state a 30 day notice is sufficient. Unless of course there was an auto-renewel clause in the original contract.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">