• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grace period???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

themcneilz

What is the name of your state? from Charlotte NC.

Is there any kind of "grace period" with rental leases, like there is with major purchases - you have 3 days to think about it and back out if you must?

After deciding to separate from my husband, I began packing, looked for an apartment, found the perfect one, submitted rental application, passed credit and background check. On 7/1/05, I paid a pet fee, pet deposit, and the pro-rated rent for July. I signed 3 copies of the lease. The lease/contract date was 8/1/05. The rental agent never signed in my presence nor did she give me a copy. She gave me door keys and was to give me mailbox keys after I returned a completed routine apartment checklist. I moved in 15 boxes of my "stuff" that evening.

I returned the next morning to speak to an office manager because I was not going to be able to keep the apartment or move in. I said I didn't have a copy of the lease and so was unsure of my options. The girl said I'd need to speak to someone else - she didn't know what to tell me and couldn't take my keys back. I packed up my 15 boxes, wrote a letter of explanation, and returned my keys and the undone checkoff list to their drop-box. I also emailed the company an explanation and asked for guidance.

I got 2 calls from their local manager and when I spoke to her today she said although I didn't have a copy of my lease I did sign it and they were holding me to my lease agreement. I told her I couldnt move in and I couldnt pay. She gave me her boss' number and I left her a voicemail message.

Please give me some good direction here. It would be great to have my nearly $1000 back but I understand there must be a penalty. But I cannot pay more than I've already given. What do I do now? How can I protect myself?

Last edited:

ENASNI

Rut Ro Raggy

Without knowing what your lease says I am flying by the seat of my pants here.
Worst case scenerio, you have to pay any rent that they lose and advertising costs to re-rent the place. This may exceed the money you already paid.

Best case scenerio, they refund some of your money back to you.

JETX

themcneilz said:
Is there any kind of "grace period" with rental leases, like there is with major purchases - you have 3 days to think about it and back out if you must?
No... and no. The 2nd 'no' is because your assumption that "like major purchases" is not correct. Only certain contracts are protected by a 72 hour 'cooling off' period.

Please give me some good direction here.
You may not like it... but my 'direction' is good.

It would be great to have my nearly $1000 back but I understand there must be a penalty. But I cannot pay more than I've already given. What do I do now?
You hope that the landlord finds another tenant for YOUR apartment as soon as possible. And if it takes longer than the months rent you have already paid.... you are liable for that 'missed' rent.

How can I protect myself?
You can't. You signed the contract (lease) and are now responsible for any unpaid rent (and/or 'damages') that the landlord incurs due to your breach.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">