• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grace Period to Get Out of Lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whimspiration

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I'm going to try and keep this simple. While circumstances dictate that I may be able to dispute the lease as Unconscionable for reasons not mentioned here, I would prefer to not go to court over this.

I signed a lease yesterday, got the key to the new place and returned home. Upon reading the lease and returning to the office a mere 10 minutes later to dispute portions of it, I returned they key, stating that having said item or taking possession of the property would further show my acceptance of the terms, and I refused to do that.

Upon further contemplation, I have decided that I want nothing to do with this landlord any longer, (I have rented from him for three years, and he has done nothing but jerk me around, including forcing me to live without a refrigerator for four weeks), and I wish to rescind my signature and render the contract null and void so that I may live elsewhere.

Since I stated that I was exceedingly unhappy with the lease, as well as stated clearly that I had been tricked into signing it when I went back a mere ten minutes after signing, I think I might have a chance of getting it canceled, however, I would like to know if I have a legal leg to stand on with this.

I plan to return to the office tomorrow (they will be open), and ask to void the lease.

Is there a grace period on rental contracts in Missouri, and if so, how long is it?

Thank you for your time and assistance. *smile*

justalayman

I'm going to try and keep this simple. While circumstances dictate that I may be able to dispute the lease as Unconscionable for reasons not mentioned here, I would prefer to not go to court over this.
unless the LL wants to let you out of the lease, that sounds like your only option.

LindaP777

I agree with the comments. You signed, you're stuck, unless the LL agrees to let you out. Why on earth did you sign w/o reading?

Whimspiration

Bait & Switch

I had complained about what I called "the cracked lease" (long story short, most of the responsibilities of ownership, none of the benefits) a couple of weeks ago, and was shown what appeared to be reworked (and normal) lease on the secretary's computer.

When lease signing time came, I naively thought that I would be signing the lease I had just looked at recently. I had them add a few things, then I simply signed without checking out the rest.:(

The only reason I can think of as to why I had't taken the time to check before i signed was because the office was so danged busy. I've known better than to sign without looking since I was 16, and I definitely should have known better than to trust them at all. *sigh*

Thank you all for your assistance.

Hot Topic

Your situation is not one that inspires sympathy. You've had problems with the landlord for three years, yet you turned around and signed a lease committing yourself to continue to live with him as your landlord for the period given in the lease. You appear to be a highly intelligent person, but you didn't display that intelligence, not only by not deciding whether or not you wanted to live in the new place with the same landlord before you signed the lease but signing without reading it.

Now I suspect that if you go to court, you think you'll have the opportunity to "get" the landlord for "tricking" you into signing the lease, plus obtain restitution for grievances covering the other three years.

You accepted the key. You accepted the lease by signing it. The landlord is not obligated by any law to let you out of the lease. Read the lease, this time regarding the rules about breaking it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I signed a lease yesterday, got the key to the new place and returned home. Upon reading the lease and returning to the office a mere 10 minutes later to dispute portions of it, I returned they key, stating that having said item or taking possession of the property would further show my acceptance of the terms, and I refused to do that.
Just to be clear, you DID take possession of the property when you first accepted the key.

Also, you mention that you are leasing with "...most of the responsibilities of ownership, none of the benefits". A lease such as that is absolutely valid and binding if both parties agree to it and sign the lease. And, guess what - you signed it!

nextwife

A lease is NOT like buying a health club membership or a set of encyclopedias.

There is no three day "right of recision".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">