• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hand-written rental agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I feel like this is a very elementary question, but I couldn't find my answer my searching the forum. My apologies if this is an often-answered question.

My brother has been living with my husband and I rent-free since October. It was supposed to be a temporary situation, but he's still there so.... I asked my brother to pay rent starting on May 1 and wrote up a simple rental agreement. It lists his name as tenant and my husband and I as the landlords. It also lists the $/mo, which utilities are included, when rent is due, that he is allowed to have his dog there, and that failure to pay may result in legal action. My brother and I both signed it.

A friend of mine who has been in the rental business (as a property manager) for years says that the agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on. But years of watching Peoples Court tells me that this signed agreement should be sufficient if I ever have to sue or evict my brother. Also, my brother has already paid (three days early!) May's rent, so I would also take that as his acceptance of our agreement.

What is your experts' opinions? Am I covered here or do I need to something more?

Thanks!:p

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are just as protected as you were before the written document. In some cases, you are even a bit more protected.

He is on a month-to-month tenancy. I suggest you use Google to look up your state's landlord/tenant laws and review them thoroughly.

atomizer

I guess it's better than nothing, you are only partially protected. There is much more involved than just paying the rent. But, your other mistake is renting to family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">