• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harassment, eviction and other issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nerped

What is the name of your state? Florida

My fiance and I are living in a house his parents own, next door to the house they live in, rent free. His father is listed as owner, and his mother's a secondary name on it. His father is not willing to throw us out while his mother is 'throwing us out' every few days.

When she's not harassing me, threatening to kill me, my family, or my fiance, she's threatening to call the cops, lie, and accuse my fiance of hitting her. She does 'smack' him, threatened to 'break his face,' and is self-medicating with anti-psychotics that aren't prescribed to her.

Now she's insisting we have to be out by morning or she's calling the police. It's the middle of the night. His father is refusing to kick us out, but how far can she take this? His father works 10 hour days, 6 days a week, and she usually tries malicious schemes when I'm alone, or at the very least when his father isn't around. Neither of us want an arrest on our records.

We also put a lot of money into the house (over $700), on top of cleaning it (no one has been in it for 20 yrs; it was storage), but she's refusing to give us anything for it, now claiming it as rent, while his father is still refusing to bill us rent. We've only been here for two weeks.

What can we do if she calls the police in the morning? If she doesn't call the police in the morning and waits until I'm alone to try it, what are my options?

FarmerJ

Tell the police your mom inlaw has problems that require medication adjustments and tell them she is acting badly as a landlord . . YOU need to sit down with your husband and really put your foot down about finding a new place to live , Hell a large studio apt would be better than dealing with her problems. BTW she cannot Orally evict you . Eviction notices must be in writting and meet your states laws .

Last edited:

HomeGuru

nerped said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

My fiance and I are living in a house his parents own, next door to the house they live in, rent free. His father is listed as owner, and his mother's a secondary name on it. His father is not willing to throw us out while his mother is 'throwing us out' every few days.

When she's not harassing me, threatening to kill me, my family, or my fiance, she's threatening to call the cops, lie, and accuse my fiance of hitting her. She does 'smack' him, threatened to 'break his face,' and is self-medicating with anti-psychotics that aren't prescribed to her.

Now she's insisting we have to be out by morning or she's calling the police. It's the middle of the night. His father is refusing to kick us out, but how far can she take this? His father works 10 hour days, 6 days a week, and she usually tries malicious schemes when I'm alone, or at the very least when his father isn't around. Neither of us want an arrest on our records.

We also put a lot of money into the house (over $700), on top of cleaning it (no one has been in it for 20 yrs; it was storage), but she's refusing to give us anything for it, now claiming it as rent, while his father is still refusing to bill us rent. We've only been here for two weeks.

What can we do if she calls the police in the morning? If she doesn't call the police in the morning and waits until I'm alone to try it, what are my options?
**A: the "eviction" issue is a civil matter that does not involve the police. The other issues may. File a TRO against her and make sure that you have a written long term lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">