• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassment from Roommates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MySunshine2016

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?DE

There are 3 of us on the lease. My two roommates started harassing and bullying me about 1 month after we started living together. They would scream at me when they would see me and send me horrible texts along with posting nasty things about me on social media. One of the girls actually shoved me multiple times one day and would have continued if her friend wouldn't have stepped in and pulled her off of me. I told the landlord starting in October what was happening and he told me to talk about it and go to the police if necessary. I did make a police report about the incident of the shoving. The harassment has continued to go on. The only part of the apartment I can use was my bedroom and the bathroom because they have locks on the doors...otherwise I do not feel safe with them around. I finally gave notice to terminate my lease to me landlord so I could move someplace where I felt safe and wasn't being harassed. My rent is prepaid through February so I would want to leave without paying the last three months of rent. I have found two people interest in subletting yet my roommates have disapproved of them (as per lease all roommates must approve of any changes) so I don't see any other option. Can I really be held liable for those last three months of rent? I was unable to enjoy the apartment I was paying my share of rent for because of these girls behaviors and I felt unsafe with them...and the landlord knew all of this. I have all texts saved and all emails saved documenting all of this. Thank you

ejames23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?DE

There are 3 of us on the lease. My two roommates started harassing and bullying me about 1 month after we started living together. They would scream at me when they would see me and send me horrible texts along with posting nasty things about me on social media. One of the girls actually shoved me multiple times one day and would have continued if her friend wouldn't have stepped in and pulled her off of me. I told the landlord starting in October what was happening and he told me to talk about it and go to the police if necessary. I did make a police report about the incident of the shoving. The harassment has continued to go on. The only part of the apartment I can use was my bedroom and the bathroom because they have locks on the doors...otherwise I do not feel safe with them around. I finally gave notice to terminate my lease to me landlord so I could move someplace where I felt safe and wasn't being harassed. My rent is prepaid through February so I would want to leave without paying the last three months of rent. I have found two people interest in subletting yet my roommates have disapproved of them (as per lease all roommates must approve of any changes) so I don't see any other option. Can I really be held liable for those last three months of rent? I was unable to enjoy the apartment I was paying my share of rent for because of these girls behaviors and I felt unsafe with them...and the landlord knew all of this. I have all texts saved and all emails saved documenting all of this. Thank you
short answer... yes you can be held liable. What does your lease say about subletting?
what did your landlord say when you told him you have people who want to take your place?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">