• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Has our landlord violated our tenant's rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbandit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello everyone, I have a question about a 3 day notice and some other issues I have been having with our landlord.My mother has been renting a 4 bedroom home for one year along with my sister and her daughter and 2 brothers.I separated from my wife about 6 months ago just when the contract ended and moved in with them.

The home has 2 studios on the side and my mother has been paying for all the bills including what the 2 occupied studios use.I have been telling her that I do not think is fair for her to pay all the bills including for 2 more families.I told her to ask the landlord for a copy of the contract of the first 6 months and she did on 3 different occasions and the landlord has refused to give her a copy.well after the contract ended and I arrived there was no contract renewal yet she still pays all the bills.

Another issue is that the landlord and their family members enter our backyard without notice. One time my sister was changing in her room and one of the sons saw her as she had her curtains slightly open. Other times my daughters have came running to me that there are strangers in the backyard. My mother told them they have to notify us before entering yet they have done it on a few more occasions.

The landlord has a chair rental business and she has all her equipment in our backyard, it's small as it is with the studios and they make it worse by having all this equipment in the backyard, plus they have some bikes hanging right next to our back door which is very dangerous. Again my mother has told her and she has not done anything about it. We have a faulty stove, and we have pests, we told her about 2 months ago and she has refused to fumigate or repair the stove.

A new tenant moved in next door and he has created a fence for his dogs that has made our backyard even smaller. The landlord never told us or asked if it was ok to have dogs they just showed up out of the blue and started putting up the fence. Now we pay the water bill yet we don't have access to a water hose in the backyard because it is enclosed by this fence. We told her about it about 3 days ago and she has refused to do anything about it.

Another thing also, like 6 different families receive mail here including the landlord and 3 previous tenants and the current tenants. We told her about it about 4 months ago yet they still receive mail here.

We feel like they have invaded our property and disrespected us as tenants, now I don't know if they have broken any landlord/tenant laws and wanted to ask what you guys thought. It also makes it really hard as she has not given us the first 6 months contract or renewed it for the past 6 months.

She served my mother with a 3 day notice this morning and we don't know what to do.

Thank you in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello everyone, I have a question about a 3 day notice and some other issues I have been having with our landlord.My mother has been renting a 4 bedroom home for one year along with my sister and her daughter and 2 brothers.I separated from my wife about 6 months ago just when the contract ended and moved in with them.

The home has 2 studios on the side and my mother has been paying for all the bills including what the 2 occupied studios use.I have been telling her that I do not think is fair for her to pay all the bills including for 2 more families.I told her to ask the landlord for a copy of the contract of the first 6 months and she did on 3 different occasions and the landlord has refused to give her a copy.well after the contract ended and I arrived there was no contract renewal yet she still pays all the bills.

Another issue is that the landlord and their family members enter our backyard without notice. One time my sister was changing in her room and one of the sons saw her as she had her curtains slightly open. Other times my daughters have came running to me that there are strangers in the backyard. My mother told them they have to notify us before entering yet they have done it on a few more occasions.

The landlord has a chair rental business and she has all her equipment in our backyard, it's small as it is with the studios and they make it worse by having all this equipment in the backyard, plus they have some bikes hanging right next to our back door which is very dangerous. Again my mother has told her and she has not done anything about it. We have a faulty stove, and we have pests, we told her about 2 months ago and she has refused to fumigate or repair the stove.

A new tenant moved in next door and he has created a fence for his dogs that has made our backyard even smaller. The landlord never told us or asked if it was ok to have dogs they just showed up out of the blue and started putting up the fence. Now we pay the water bill yet we don't have access to a water hose in the backyard because it is enclosed by this fence. We told her about it about 3 days ago and she has refused to do anything about it.

Another thing also, like 6 different families receive mail here including the landlord and 3 previous tenants and the current tenants. We told her about it about 4 months ago yet they still receive mail here.

We feel like they have invaded our property and disrespected us as tenants, now I don't know if they have broken any landlord/tenant laws and wanted to ask what you guys thought. It also makes it really hard as she has not given us the first 6 months contract or renewed it for the past 6 months.

She served my mother with a 3 day notice this morning and we don't know what to do.

Thank you in advance.
Pay your rent.

Gail in Georgia

"Our" property?

Bub, you were never on the lease to begin with. You just showed up and started living there. Once you opened your mouth and began complaining, you set in motion having the landlord terminate this type of lease.

In the absence of a written lease, you all are considered to be month to month tenants (assuming the rent is paid monthly).

Attached is information on how easy it is for the landlord to terminate such a lease. Pay particular attention to what it takes to receive a 3 day notice (i.e., "committed a nuisance"):

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Quite frankly, it sounds as if your landlord had enough of your complaining and thus presented your mother with the three day notice.

Gail

Zigner

"Our" property?

Bub, you were never on the lease to begin with. You just showed up and started living there. Once you opened your mouth and began complaining, you set in motion having the landlord terminate this type of lease.

In the absence of a written lease, you all are considered to be month to month tenants (assuming the rent is paid monthly).

Attached is information on how easy it is for the landlord to terminate such a lease. Pay particular attention to what it takes to receive a 3 day notice (i.e., "committed a nuisance"):

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Quite frankly, it sounds as if your landlord had enough of your complaining and thus presented your mother with the three day notice.

Gail
I disagree with your final statement. The tenants didn't pay the rent. If they had, he would have said so in his subsequent post. Everything's fine until the LL actually expects to be paid. THEN he wants to lodge all sorts of complaints :rolleyes:

mbandit

I disagree with your final statement. The tenants didn't pay the rent. If they had, he would have said so in his subsequent post. Everything's fine until the LL actually expects to be paid. THEN he wants to lodge all sorts of complaints :rolleyes:
You sir are right on us not paying the rent but not on our complaining....my mother has asked for the home to be fumigated and the stove to be repaired for the longest time...isn't there a law that states that we don't pay until they fix those problems?And also what can we do about her refusal to give my mother a copy of the contract?

Zigner

You sir are right on us not paying the rent but not on our complaining....my mother has asked for the home to be fumigated and the stove to be repaired for the longest time...isn't there a law that states that we don't pay until they fix those problems?And also what can we do about her refusal to give my mother a copy of the contract?
There is no such law...
Furthermore, your mom should have her own copy. The LL isn't required to provide one past the initial contract.

I suggest that you Google California Landlord Tenant Law and study up a bit. But, pay the rent first.

mbandit

There is no such law...
Furthermore, your mom should have her own copy. The LL isn't required to provide one past the initial contract.

I suggest that you Google California Landlord Tenant Law and study up a bit. But, pay the rent first.
She never gave her one in the first place though.

But what do you think about the other issues that I have stated?

Zigner

She never gave her one in the first place though.

But what do you think about the other issues that I have stated?
I think you need to study the California landlord/tenant laws. Have you Googled, as I advised?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">