• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

heat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drrcaz

In the state of New Jersey can my landlord charge for the heat. I was under the impression the heat expense was covered by the landlord. My landlord wants to split the bill with me.

L

LL

You have to check NJ law.

In general, you can make any agreement with a landlord for any package of rent, heat, water, other utilities.

Have you been listening to mary hartman (aka djdj, aka dj1)?

M

mary hartman

OK here it goes....If you have a lease and it is NOT stated the tenant pays for heat, then the landlord must pay for it, untill the lease ends.

If you DO NOT have a seperate thermostat in your apartment, then the landlord cannot charge you for the heat by splitting the bill, since you have no control over the amount of heat YOU require to be comfortable.

That is the standard they use......in NY and NJ area...

NO thermostat in your apartment the landlord pays.

That is fair!

PS..of course if you are living in an Illegal basment or attic apartment the landlord cannot legally put in a thermostat, or a seperate electric meter....so splitting the bills is a RED FLAG that the apartment might be illegal!

[Edited by mary hartman on 04-13-2001 at 09:19 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">