• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heat requirements- New Jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcgeels

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I am a current renter in the state of New Jersey. I do not have a written lease. When I first spoke with my landlord about the apartment, she told me that the heat was included in the rent. There is a furnace for the radiators that is controlled external from my apartment (I have no way to control the temperature it is set at).

Recently, it has been very cold in my apartment (around 53 degrees was the lowest I have seen so far this year). I spoke to my landlord, and she said that she has it set at 60 degrees. The furnace company made a visit and said that the furnace won't turn on unless it's set higher (around 65). She wants it set at 60, which means no heat for me. Not to mention, the thermostat is in the upstairs apartment which will probably always be warmer than my apartment (ground floor), so it may never turn on. Her solution is to provide me with space heaters- which I am not comfortable with for safety reasons, appearance-wise, and also the fact that it now adds to the electric bill, which I pay.

Isn't there a minimum temperature to set the heat at? Is there anything I can mention to my landlord in terms of legal requirements, or am I out of luck since I don't have a written lease. The landlords son mentioned to me that she said she'd provide heat up to 60 degrees in the lease (I don't think he knows that I don't have a written lease, and also- is 60 degrees considered heat!?!?!)

I am very frustrated, as I pay a significant amount in rent for a small apartment, and the least I would hope to expect is to feel at least a little comfortable in terms of temperature (I don't like the apartment to be hot, but I don't like to shiver either).What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FarmerJ

Your state govt web pages or your city /county govt center should be able to provide to you any information about heating minimum temps in your state when a tenants heat is supposed to be included and some kind of formula which spells out when the heating season begins for tenants with heat included and when it ends. I do not know your states min requirement but I do know many states have defined it as 68 degree min when heat is included. Also your states consumer affairs desk or your state atty gen consumer web pages may be able to tell you.

juber0

The landlord must provide the heat in your apartment rather then it be a lease or a verbal agreement (which your on now). Here is NJ law in regards to this situation.

[url=http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/placeilive/irentmyhome/tenantsrights/chaptersix/ said:
]LSNJLAW - You and the Law in New Jersey[/url], the landlord must provide enough heat so that the temperature in the apartment is at least 68 degrees from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Between the hours of 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., the temperature in the apartment must be at least 65 degrees. Cite: N.J.A.C. 5:10-14 et seq. and N.J.A.C. 5:28-1.12(m).

juber0

Just to not crowd my previous post

Same Link As Above said:
The housing inspector or board of health in your town enforces the heat requirements in the state and local codes. Larger cities have special no-heat hotlines that are set up especially to handle complaints. The inspector can file a complaint in court on your behalf, or you can file your own complaint. The landlord must then appear in court and explain why he or she is not providing heat. The court can impose stiff penalties, including fines or jail sentences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">