• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heating Oil

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kkaschke

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Can a landlord make a tenant buy their heating oil from a certain company? According to my landlord I have to purchase my oil from a company that she says she has a contract from. But I can buy heating oil through BJ's a lot cheaper.

panzertanker

kkaschke said:

Can a landlord make a tenant buy their heating oil from a certain company? According to my landlord I have to purchase my oil from a company that she says she has a contract from. But I can buy heating oil through BJ's a lot cheaper.
Does your lease state anything about it?

ENASNI

kkaschke said:

Yeah, what does your lease say?

Otherwise it sounds pretty slick to me... (heh heh)

I am not sure of this, hopefully someone else will know. It smells of kick-back to me.

http://www.jud.state.ct.us/lawlib/Law/landlord.htm

kkaschke

It does state that the oil needs to be purchased from them. But it doesn't specify how many gallons. We did already purchase one tank of oil.

BL

kkaschke said:
It does state that the oil needs to be purchased from them. But it doesn't specify how many gallons. We did already purchase one tank of oil.
Please , since the LL has a contract w/ the heating CO. , the LL can keep track of purchases .

If no oil has been purchased in cold weather to keep the Place heated , the LL can make sure no damage occurs .

You signed it , live with it .

treese

Please , since the LL has a contract w/ the heating CO. , the LL can keep track of purchases .

If no oil has been purchased in cold weather to keep the Place heated , the LL can make sure no damage occurs .

You signed it , live with it .
I agree.

Not only can the LL keep track of purchases and ensure that the place is kept heated, the oil company is very likely providing service and maintenance to the heating system.

panzertanker

kkaschke said:
You, my friend, are out of luck...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">