• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heat's not on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fairisfair

Yes, my renters insurance covers liability. That's the main reason to get it! My stuff is worth a lot, but not as much as the building I live in, if I were to cause damage to it.
Mine too, only my stuff isn't worth too much :)( ) Actually, I just got a recent quote from my insurance company cause my son was talking about getting an apartment, here is how it broke down:

Option 1
Person Property $25,000 (based on replacement costs)
Loss of Use 7,500
Personal Liability 100,000
Medical Payment to others 1,000
$316 a year = $52.68 down (1st month) then $23.94 monthly plus the $5 fee if paper bill or $2 fee if on EFT

Option 2
Person Property $35,000 (based on replacement costs)
Loss of Use 10,500
Personal Liability 100,000
Medical Payment to others 1,000
$361 a year = $60.17 down (1st month) then $27.35 monthly plus the $5 fee if paper bill or $2 fee if on EFT -

The policy automaticly comes with the above coverages but they can be adjusted as needed.

ecmst12

Mine is only 10k personal property (which I think is appropriate for what I own), $100 deductible, replacement cost, and $100k liability, it's about $150 per year. I don't have "loss of use" listed, what's that?

ecmst12

2. Give the landlord a "reasonable" time to correct the problem. What is reasonable depends on the situation. The more serious the problem, the sooner it should be fixed. Emergencies such as lack of heat in winter should be fixed very promptly.
Well, I don't think "repair and deduct" would apply here because they ARE working on the problem....if it's a time consuming repair there's nothing anyone can do about that now (though they still should have started before last month!!!). I don't think they'll agree to let me pay nothing for the whole 25 days or whatever it will be that the heat won't be on. But maybe they'll agree to the 50%, the place isn't totally uninhabitable (at least it's not December) just uncomfortable.

BL

Well, I don't think "repair and deduct" would apply here because they ARE working on the problem....if it's a time consuming repair there's nothing anyone can do about that now (though they still should have started before last month!!!). I don't think they'll agree to let me pay nothing for the whole 25 days or whatever it will be that the heat won't be on. But maybe they'll agree to the 50%, the place isn't totally uninhabitable (at least it's not December) just uncomfortable.
Your first post Quote :

Landlord must provide heat between October 1st and May 15th at a minimum of 65° between 6:30 AM and 10:30 PM; 60° during the night and when the temperature is below 0° unless otherwise provided by lease.
Are you now going to argue with yourself ?

ecmst12

Oh I'm not...I just think they're going to say that the use of my apartment hasn't been completely denied to me so I don't have standing to ask to pay 0 rent for those days.

BL

Oh I'm not...I just think they're going to say that the use of my apartment hasn't been completely denied to me so I don't have standing to ask to pay 0 rent for those days.
This is NOT about weather you chose to stay in an unheated Apt. , or not , or weather you can still stay there .

This is about the warranty of habitable of the State's Laws .

This falls under Emergency . Your apt. is suppose to be heated at ALL times during the heating season . Each Apt., and Each room in the Apt. must be heated to the specs .

You are doing yourself a disfavor by not fallowing members advice here .

You wanted it , We gave it to you , now It's in your ballpark .

fairisfair

Mine is only 10k personal property (which I think is appropriate for what I own), $100 deductible, replacement cost, and $100k liability, it's about $150 per year. I don't have "loss of use" listed, what's that?
I think it means if you can't live there for some reason, like if there was a fire and you had to stay elsewhere until repairs were completed. Mo will know. I just pay the premiums and think okay, now we are covered.

LSCAP

Heat

Talk talk talk Insurance- laws- etc. :confused:
All winter long there will be people with this problem, and all summer the problem will be AC not working. Last month we had a two story office building go down. One third of the offices are government offices. They would really like to catch us on something!
So far only two rentals.

Yes. Some of the owners are cheap. Especially where someone bought a few apartments and wants to live off of the rent.

Legally they have an excuse, the darn thing is broken, and they are building you a new (better?) one. Though they will save in the long run-more efficient.

Tell them to give you some electric space heaters. If they don’t, then buy a couple and send them the bill. ( at least it might aggravate them with a bill they wont want to pay. (is this going to cause another thread-should they pay?):rolleyes:

Then check your electricity bill. If it is significantly higher, tell them to pay the difference.

Meanwhile. Try to stay warm and HEALTHY.:)
and I don't envy you. I HATE BEING COLD!:(

ecmst12

You are doing yourself a disfavor by not fallowing members advice here.
Well I would except I am getting conflicting advice from different people! Personally, I would prefer you to be correct! I just don't want to get laughed out of their office for asking for a 25 day credit. But I see your point about the warrenty of habitability. They are breaking the law and I shouldn't be expected to uphold my end of the lease (pay full rent) when they are not upholding their end.

BL

Well I would except I am getting conflicting advice from different people! Personally, I would prefer you to be correct! I just don't want to get laughed out of their office for asking for a 25 day credit. But I see your point about the warrenty of habitability. They are breaking the law and I shouldn't be expected to uphold my end of the lease (pay full rent) when they are not upholding their end.

FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting or the qualifications of any person responding. Use of the Forums is subject to our Terms and Conditions which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who you have retained to represent you.

You were advised to at least consult a Lawyer , and call the code inspector to inspect the Build. , then obtain a report .

moburkes

fair is correct on the loss of use.

Pretend I'm not an agent. Oh, wait. I'm licensed in BOTH of your states, so I'm cool. Raise your personal property to at least $25000. You would be suprised how fast $10k goes when you have to replace everything that you own. Remember, REPLACEMENT COST. New bedroom set, living room set, dining room set, kitchen table, all utensils including pots, pans, and dishes, clothing, jewelry, books, knick knacks, decorations, lamps, CDs, DVDs, etc. It would cost WAY more than 10k to replace all that. Sheets, vacuum, stuff in the bathroom, meds, etc.

Raise your medical payments to others to $5k. That way they don't have to sue you if their damages are $1,001.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">