• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A.M.L.

Illinois, Chicago area

I signed a 15 month lease with two (at the time) friends whom are a couple. I was there for six months until their fighting got aggressive they laid hands on each other and I called the police. I can not live with them anymore in fear of my roommate. I got a paper from the landlord to be removed from the lease but both roommates have to sign it and it has to be notarized. They refuse to sign it and are trying to make me pay rent even though they kicked me out and I no longer live there. It's a very unhealthy environment and I've tried talking to the landlord but she told me to talk to an attorney. Please help me!

LdiJ

Illinois, Chicago area

I signed a 15 month lease with two (at the time) friends whom are a couple. I was there for six months until their fighting got aggressive they laid hands on each other and I called the police. I can not live with them anymore in fear of my roommate. I got a paper from the landlord to be removed from the lease but both roommates have to sign it and it has to be notarized. They refuse to sign it and are trying to make me pay rent even though they kicked me out and I no longer live there. It's a very unhealthy environment and I've tried talking to the landlord but she told me to talk to an attorney. Please help me!
Well, they had absolutely no right to kick you out and you can certainly move back in. You can also sit back and simply hope that they pay the full rent without suing you or without getting your credit messed up. If they do sue you, you can counter with their illegal kick out.

A.M.L.

I've tried to get papers to take them to court, but the people at the courthouse did not know where my case would be filed under and couldn't give me papers.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've tried to get papers to take them to court, but the people at the courthouse did not know where my case would be filed under and couldn't give me papers.
The "people at the court" aren't allowed to give you legal advice, which is why they couldn't tell you anything. Oftentimes, clerks will bend the rules a little with folks, so I'm surprised you didn't get any general direction from them, but that just means they were following the rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">