• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Freeloaders living w/ parents. How do we get rid of them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sherman

California.

Over a year ago my mother let a woman (Donna) she did not know move in with her, my father, brother and neice. After Donna's boyfriend (Mike) got out of jail my mother let him move in also. Yes, crazy I know. Donna and Mike do not have jobs and do not contribute financially to the household. Mike does some work around the house and Donna sits around all day being waited on by my Mom. There is no contract or any real agreement. It was strickly a "you don't have to sleep on the street you can stay here for awhile" now they can't get rid of them. My parents are planning on selling the house and moving, Donna and Mike have stated they will be staying until that happens which will be about 6 more months or so. Can they just be thrown out or has my parents kindness put them in a major legal situation:confused: ? Please help! My parents had to take out a second motgage to feed everyone.What is the name of your state?

Who's Liable?

Your parents are the LL's, and the two people are their tenants...

They are month-to-month rental tenants. Since no lease was signed between both parties, the state automatically creates one. It is done to protect the tenants.

In order for your parents to make them leave, they will need to PROPERLY serve their tenants a 30-day notice to evict, or whatever is necessary per your staes LL/T laws...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">