• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Need money for damages.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kirin

I am in Chicago.
The ceiling fell down and the floor was flooded with hot water and mud, because the water pipe of heating burst.
I couldnt live in my apartment for 10 days and some of my staff were damaged.
I turned in the lists of damage and the estimate of amount.
However, the landlord only paid me one month rent. The damage is over $4000. They even refused to pay for Hotel eventhough they told me they would pay at that day.
I do not have insurance.
I do not know where to go.
Please give me some advice.
How long is the prescription?

D

djdj

NO RENTERS insurance now that was dumb!

You accepted one month,that was DUMB cause you ain't getting nothing more

What you should have done if you were SMART.....

Was to get the Insurance company agent for HIS insurance and see how much his homeowners insurance would pay for the damages.

If you were NOT satisified you would have to hire a lawyer to fight for you...

But since you accepted money from the landlord,(CASH) it could be considered paid in full and he owes you nothing.

So Did he pay you in cash? or just said not to pay this months rent.

K

kirin

He said me not to pay, but I sent a check since I was not satisfied.
I tried to contact their insurance agent, but I couldnt.

D

djdj

What are you doing that is so important you cant find out who his agent is?????

.Find out where the office is and camp out there untill you get some answers...if you are not happy then hire a lawyer.

Very good....... you sent him the rent check, then he cant say he reimbursed you...

K

kirin

I couldn't find out which insurance company is...
Landlord never told me, neither did the engineer who lives in the same building as me.

How do you think about legal aid?
I am an international student, so I do not have enough money to hire a lawyer.

K

katrinaro

Most university campus' have a free legal aid office for students, faculty and staff. I'd look into it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">