• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holdover Eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BRU117

What is the name of your state (o
New York, N.Y.
I'm being evicted in 5 months from my apartment of 27 years as a holdover the landlord has terminated my lease and have been ordered by the court to vacate the apartment in 5 months. Is there anything I can do to stop this action?

HomeGuru

New York, N.Y.
I'm being evicted in 5 months from my apartment of 27 years as a holdover the landlord has terminated my lease and have been ordered by the court to vacate the apartment in 5 months. Is there anything I can do to stop this action?
**A:and for what reason?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How does one know 5 months in advance that they will have to move due to an eviction? :confused:

BL

Right...my question still applies.
In an eviction it's possible for the court to give a few months to vacate .

The court will usually tell the tenant that rent still has to be paid during that period.

sandyclaus

New York, N.Y.
If the court has already ordered the eviction, then it's a done deal. Unless you can find some reason for a successful appeal to reverse the decision, that is. (And I can't think of one, especially for a holdover eviction that they have already ordered to take effect this far in advance.)

So, is the eviction simply due to an overextended holdover, or are there other reasons they gave for the eviction?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">