• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hot water heater landlord responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MEOWOOF77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I've been renting a one bedroom row home for the past year. Approximately 2 months after I moved in, my landlord called me to say that the water usage/bill was higher that it had ever been for one month's usage. She inquired as to if I was using more water than I would normally use for that month. There is a washer/dryer that was left by the previous tenant and I had done more laundry than normal that month, but other than that there wasn't anything excessive. Subsiquent water bills were higher than normal as well, and the landlord began to charge me an additional $10 a month for the "high water usage" which was approx 4000 gallons per month.

Being that the $10 monthly wasn't THAT big a deal to me, I paid it. 2 weeks ago, I woke up to no hot water, and, upon inspection, the water heater showed signs of leakage. I contacted the landlord who immediately had someone come and replace the water heater. I spoke to the guy that replaced the water heater, and he specifically said that it had to have been leaking for at least the past year based on the amount of water that accumulated under the water heater.

It would seem that the "high water usage" was due to a faulty water heater. Upon further research, it seems that the leaking water heater also caused my electric bill to be higher as well. I just got another "invoice" from my landlord who wants the $10 for the previous month's water bill.

Am I correct that a)the landlord should have checked for a possible water leak in the house PRIOR to charging me for excess water usage? b)The "high water bill" was due to a faulty water heater and not actual usage, therefor, the money I paid to the landlord should be credited or returned?

Gail in Georgia

The guy who replaced the water heater had no idea what he was talking about when the stated the hot water heater had been leaking for about a year. If had been leaking for that long a period of time, you'd have been doing the backstroke in your place. You live there; how come you didn't notice all this water leaking all over the place?

Can you prove that it's been leaking that long? Is it worth it for $10 a month?

Gail

FarmerJ

Gail is correct , the amount of water found leaking from the hot water heater is a tiny amount , if the leak were to cause that much increase it would have actually been more than that becuase it would have been all over the place. 10.00 is reasonable when a washer is used alot. You might not be aware of it but in many communitys Sewer fees can be 3 and 4 or more than the water it self cost. In other places city water/sewer fees are just very expensive due to improvements or specific work the public water system had to do to meet state guidelines .

Cvillecpm

Be happy!~! you have a NEW, more EFFICIENT hot water and your bills should go DOWN....advise landlord you will not be paying $10 any more!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">