• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A hot water pipe broke in my house, it took the landlord five months to fix just that

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mymegs

Hi, I've been living in the same rental house for 6yrs. The hot water pipe broke on April 22nd, 2001. The carpet was damaged in a quarter of my living room, the hall way and my daughters room. We had to move in with my parents, who rent the two bedroom house nextdoor. We, as in my husband, myself, my daughter and my sister! They broke holes in the walls all over the place to dry them out. The lanlord decided to go through his insurance company to have them fix the problem.
The insurance company decided it would cost at least $10,000 to fix. So according to my landlord the insurance company paid him $4000 and told him to do it himself. It took him five months to finally get someone to repipe! Then another month to get the carpet. USED CARPET!! All this time we lived with my parents.
Now they have decided to raise our rent,this month,from $1075 to $1200.
Is all of this leagal???

1) Waiting six months?
2) Used carpet?
3) Rent increase?
4) Having to live with my parents all this time?

Shouldnt they have put us up somewhere?

I feel like they think they can get away with this because, we dont have anywhere else to go. No money.

We don't have a lease either.

Help.

Last edited:

JETX

1) Do you have a WRITTEN lease??
2) What is the term of the lease (when did it start, when does it end)?

In any case, I suggest you start looking for another place to lease.

M

mymegs

A hot water pipe broke in my house

We do not have a lease. They told me they didn't believe in them.

JETX

Now you see why they "don't believe in them".

They have already shown by their actions (or lack of) that they have NO intention to take care of the property or the tenants. And without a lease you have absolutely NO rights or 'bargaining position'.

Your decision, move out and find a 'decent' place to live or stay there with the conditions as they are.

H

happy&lucky

you have a month to month lease and have no rights EXCEPT to a 30 day notice to vacate or for a rent increase.....

so i would suggest move all your stuff out asap, and find another place to live ASAP!..

Then sue them in small claims court for your deposit and any lost rent...you know they are entitled to ZERO rent from April 22....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">