+ Reply to Thread
    20questions is offline Junior Member

The house I am renting was a crime scene

What is the name of your state? Ga

I need to know if there are any kind of disclosure laws set up for landlord and tenants. I just found out that the house i am currently leasing was a crime scene just 3 months before me and my family moved into it. Apparently the owners rented the house to a drug dealer and he ended getting shot several times in the house and almost dying and there was a bunch of money and drugs left in the house. My question is do I have a case if I choose to break my lease and move out because I do not feel comfortable in the house. I also would like to know if we could get our earnest money back because we obviously would not have moved into the house had we known the situation. I have 2 children under the age of 3 and cannot believe she would put my family possibly in danger by not revealing what happened.

Please help.
    ENASNI is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb

The only disclosures I see in Georgia's law are who the landlord is and their address and whether you will get flooded or not.

It might be an uncomfortable feeling, but the landlord does have the right to rent out the house. They are probably pleased as punch to have such nice tenants as you this time.

I do not see this as a lease breaker in any form.
    fairlight is offline Member
    I had barely moved into an apartment in California before my neighbor informed me that a tenant had been murdered there by someone she knew. The manager claimed she didn't know all the "details," though both of the local newspapers covered the murder, and an investigator went to another country to research the incident. I read that after a certain amount of time, there's no obligation to inform a prospective tenant.

I would check around with any local tenant groups or the Bar Association, which may sponsor free legal clinics in your area where you could discuss the matter with an attorney.

Good luck.
    ENASNI is offline Senior Member

Um

AS a single mother I always check with the local authorities about the crime in the area. Everything is on your fingertips these days. Sex offenders, any kind of crimes, local numbers to call. any HITS to the area. Bad research is not a reason to punish a landlord. Again I will get hit on being biased towards a landlord but with almost 3000 posts to the board, subtract hmmm 800 smart a$$ remarks and 200 on other subjects... I am 50/50... someone else do the research, I am tired of defending myself. I do not need to. I do this for free and from the kindness of my heart.
    south is offline Senior Member
    I think you will find only a realtor has to disclose if the home is being sold and correct me if I am wrong anyone only if someone died in there or 'maybe' a very serious crime.

Quote Originally Posted by 20questions
    What is the name of your state? Ga

I need to know if there are any kind of disclosure laws set up for landlord and tenants. I just found out that the house i am currently leasing was a crime scene just 3 months before me and my family moved into it. Apparently the owners rented the house to a drug dealer and he ended getting shot several times in the house and almost dying and there was a bunch of money and drugs left in the house. My question is do I have a case if I choose to break my lease and move out because I do not feel comfortable in the house. I also would like to know if we could get our earnest money back because we obviously would not have moved into the house had we known the situation. I have 2 children under the age of 3 and cannot believe she would put my family possibly in danger by not revealing what happened.

Please help.