• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The house im renting has been condemned HELP!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cindyg

What is the name of your state? I live in New York state. I have time and time again been complaining to my landlord about issues with the house that he failed to fix. The city came in and condemned the house. Now my son and i have no place to go. Im in fear that he will keep my security deposit so i do not know what to do. I have always paid rent on time. He has my security deposit of first months last months and security. He is telling me the carpets need to be cleaned and i need to pay for that. I have lived there for over 2 years so some wear and tear is going to occur. Please help me by telling me my rights. I would like to take him to civil court to get some money for storage and the fact that i had to move out and had no place to go. Please advise?

las365

Why would the carpet need to be cleaned in a house that has been condemned? How much notice did you get that you had to move?

I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds as if your landlord breached the lease by not keeping the premises habitable. You could sue him in small claims court for breach of contract and seek refund of your deposits and other damages that you may be entitled to under the lease contract and/or applicable laws.

There are some people who post here who are very well versed in landlord tenant matters. They'll be along to give you better advice than I can, I'm sure.

cindyg

Actually no their arent apartments for rent in my neighborhood. I live in Oneonta NY and their are no apartments available, not even 1. The real issue here is the fact that my landlord needs to gussy up and return my money and compensate me for my losses. Thanks for the advise but it really is of no assistance. If you find an apartment for rent in my neighborhood let me know!

moburkes

Actually no their arent apartments for rent in my neighborhood. I live in Oneonta NY and their are no apartments available, not even 1. The real issue here is the fact that my landlord needs to gussy up and return my money and compensate me for my losses. Thanks for the advise but it really is of no assistance. If you find an apartment for rent in my neighborhood let me know!
Oh, good gawd, lady. Then, I suppose you'll be typing this from your laptop while you're sitting on the curb in the snow. I've never heard of 100% occupancy in ANY city, but its your choice.

cindyg

Actually im in my bikini in the sun at the holiday inn ,LOL.... The reason there are no apartments available is because of the hall of fame in cooperstown. The landlords are renting to all the people visiting there and making alot more money then they would from a regular tenant. They are only willing to rent for a 6 month lease and that is too short for me. I travel for my job so i cant be moving around constantly. The real estate in the area is garbage as well. Im contemplating relocating.

BL

What is the name of your state? I live in New York state.
I have time and time again been complaining to my landlord about issues with the house that he failed to fix.
I hope you have proofs of written letters , or build. inspector reports.

The city came in and condemned the house. Now my son and i have no place to go.
Depending on the time you were given to vacate , why did you not contact Soc. Services Emergency , the Red Cross, or Salvation Army,catholic Fam. Services , or such ?
How can you afford the luxury of living at the holiday in ? You do a 6 mo. lease if need be , you do what you have to .

Im in fear that he will keep my security deposit so i do not know what to do. I have always paid rent on time. He has my security deposit of first months last months and security. He is telling me the carpets need to be cleaned and i need to pay for that.
He can not get damages for property that's been condemned.Write him a letter with proof he received it and an address to send it to or send it to your old address if you have had your mail forwarded, and,that you expect your entire deposit within 30 days of the property being condemned,or you will file a lawsuit.

I have lived there for over 2 years so some wear and tear is going to occur. Please help me by telling me my rights. I would like to take him to civil court to get some money for storage and the fact that i had to move out and had no place to go. Please advise?
You can request of the court anything you believe your entitled to , the court will decide the amount .

FarmerJ

Ceck with your city or your state govt web page links to learn if deposit refund return dates are shorter when there is a condemn order in place. Do your self a favor and get a copy of the condemn order from your city. It will be useful to have should this go to court. It also would be useful to show prospective LLs the letter so they know why you might not get any kind of referal from old LL.

ORANGE49

request a hearing

write a letter requesting a hearing to the DWP and the Corporations counsil of your city notoing the nys property managment code ande that you are effected as a tenant. include the code under which it was condemned and sent it certrifieed return reciept requested. Hope that works as that is what a lawyer recomended that i do! Good luck dear.

sandyclaus

write a letter requesting a hearing to the DWP and the Corporations counsil of your city notoing the nys property managment code ande that you are effected as a tenant. include the code under which it was condemned and sent it certrifieed return reciept requested. Hope that works as that is what a lawyer recomended that i do! Good luck dear.
Oh boy...did you notice that this post is almost 4 years OLD???:eek::eek::eek: I seriously doubt that they are still going to be around to check what your (VERY LATE) reply says...

Don't dig up the past and don't necropost!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">