• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I break my lease as a tenant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyncho

What is the name of your state? MA

I'm trying to leave my apartment and need advice on the best way to proceed (my reasons are at end). My lease expires in Aug., I'd like to move by May. I'd like to know: what should I do, what can they do, and how should I respond to different situations.

My current plan is:
1. ask nicely
2. document any and all violations of MA regulation
3. if they resist, move out and let them pursue me in court, then use the documented violations as means to try and escape the lease.

My landlord has violated the Sanitation Law, and I have documented cases of them not responding to repair requests. I've been burglarized twice. Between the first and second time I requested bars to be placed on street level windows, the landlord said they would investigate any regulations about that, and they never got back to me. I have all of this documented. I did have renters insurance however, my passport, ss card, and birth certificate were stolen along with a lot of other identifying information which was stored in a 350 lb safe. At this point I actually think one of the maintenance people may have done it with some friends, based on the way it was pulled off.

thanks,
John

Hot Topic

Not exactly a double post but close enough.

It's interesting that you put in this post that you'd like to leave by May. That suggests that you want to leave for reasons that are not solely fueled by the burglaries or the situation with the bars and hot water.

If you think the maintenance man and friends broke into your safe - and I would be very, very careful who I said that to - why are you so gung-ho about having bars on the windows?

JETX

My landlord has violated the Sanitation Law, and I have documented cases of them not responding to repair requests
Were these 'repair requests' made in WRITING?? If not, this EXCUSE is useless.
Were these 'repair requests' considered health or safety violations?? If not, this excuse is useless.

I've been burglarized twice.
And how EXACTLY is the landlord responsible for this?? If not responsible... this EXCUSE is useless.

Between the first and second time I requested bars to be placed on street level windows, the landlord said they would investigate any regulations about that, and they never got back to me. I have all of this documented.
Guess what... USELESS. The landlord has NO obligation to install burglar bars at your request.

I did have renters insurance however, my passport, ss card, and birth certificate were stolen along with a lot of other identifying information which was stored in a 350 lb safe. At this point I actually think one of the maintenance people may have done it with some friends, based on the way it was pulled off.
So, what did the police do when you told them that?? :eek:

Just Blue

I reposted because people didn't understand the information I was requesting.

That makes absolutely no sense.
Be careful who I said it to? Why? You're crazy, and antagonistic. I suggest you stop posting. I see I will get no help here and that this website is only an outlet for disgruntled losers who can't express their discontent with their lives elsewhere.

John[/QUOTE]

Hot topic was telling you that if you were to go around telling people that the maintenance people may have broken into your apt then you could get sued!! Get it now???!!

Get a grip on your anger issues, dude!

psyncho

You can't get sued for that. There are reasons for my suspicion which are being given to police. Man, I didn't figure I would get anything useful out of this site, but I had no idea I would be attacked. This is incredible.

Just Blue

You can't get sued for that. There are reasons for my suspicion which are being given to police. Man, I didn't figure I would get anything useful out of this site, but I had no idea I would be attacked. This is incredible.
You were NOT attacked...Because you didn't get the answer you wanted does not make the answers attacks!!

And spreading a lie about someone WILL get you sued...It is called SLANDER...Look it up..

Happy Trails

Trying to negotiate with your landlord is certainly an option. I have seen where LL's will allow a person out of their lease requirements (given enough time for them to find another tenant). Also the fact, that the LL may be able to receive more rent money from a new tenant.

--------------------

On a side note, I didn't see any abusive posts, but I suppose it is reasonable to believe that you had them removed.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Hot Topic

It has already been suggested to the poster that he negotiate getting out of his lease early with the landlord. He will "rough it out" until the end of the lease if the landlord will install bars on the windows, even though he knows the landlord is not required by law to do so.

The moderator removed the posts because the poster reported them as being abusive. The moderator reviewed them, did not consider them abusive and put them back on the board.

Alaska landlord

psyncho wrote. My current plan is:
1. ask nicely
2. document any and all violations of MA regulation
3. if they resist, move out and let them pursue me in court, then use the documented violations as means to try and escape the lease.
4. Get used to renting in substandard neighborhoods as landlords are increasingly relying on county court websites for information on perspective tenants for decisions about whether to rent or not.

You may not care about your rental history but others do.

Hot Topic

Hey! I'm the one who was called crazy and antagonistic and told I shouldn't be posting here.

Mrs. Satan signing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">