• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I evict a non-tenant (squatter?)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan g

What is the name of your state? California

My friend recently became homeless, living in her broken down car. Out of kindness and care (and a bit of stupidity), at first I just allowed her to use my San Diego residence (which I own) as a mailing address. I then let her occasionally use my shower and gave her storage for some of her belongings, giving her a copy of my key for access while I was away. After she became ill with the flu, I then allowed her to stay over until she "recovered." It has been over one month now. Bottom line: I have asked her to leave and she refuses! The local authorities inform me that because she has my mailing address, a key, and her belongings at my residence, it legally is her residence too! She has no income and can't pay rent. We have no formal agreement. So any laws on evicting lodgers or tenants don't apply. Because she doesn't work and has multiple health problems she is there all day long every day. HELP!What is the name of your state?

dan g

Re: evicting a non-tenant

But such forms as Pay Rent or Quit don't apply as she has never paid rent and no landlord/tenant agreement exists. If landlord/tenant laws do apply what would be the process ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">