• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I have my belongings "evicted" if I don't live there?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JackBailey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

I moved into my great-grandmother's house last year (Sept. 2010) because my father said that he thought he had a share of the house and land. Turns out it legally belongs to a great-aunt of mine (living in NYC).

Later, next month, relatives of mine show up and say I must leave. So I did while occasionally visiting just to see if anyone took some of my belongings that I left behind.

My belongings are still there but I got a "15 day eviction notice" because of "unpaid rent". There wasn't a rental agreement what-so-ever plus the house could never really be lived in anyway (no running water/broken plumbing; mold in the house).

I don't have anywhere to really store my stuff for right now other than my great-grandmother's house.

What should I do?

:(:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

VirginiaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Virginia

I moved into my great-grandmother's house last year (Sept. 2010) because my father said that he thought he had a share of the house and land. Turns out it legally belongs to a great-aunt of mine (living in NYC).

Later, next month, relatives of mine show up and say I must leave. So I did while occasionally visiting just to see if anyone took some of my belongings that I left behind.

My belongings are still there but I got a "15 day eviction notice" because of "unpaid rent". There wasn't a rental agreement what-so-ever plus the house could never really be lived in anyway (no running water/broken plumbing; mold in the house).

I don't have anywhere to really store my stuff for right now other than my great-grandmother's house.

What should I do?

I would recommend that you find someplace else to store your stuff, or you may find it being disposed of as abandoned property.

Antigone*

Virginia

What should I do?

Why are you confused:confused: If you cannot afford a storage unit, either sell, donate, or dump "the stuff":cool:

JackBailey

It's not that easy for me to just "donate" or "dump" my stuff. There is furniture there that doesn't belong to me (was my grandmother's). I don't want her furniture and other belongings to be thrown out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's not that easy for me to just "donate" or "dump" my stuff. There is furniture there that doesn't belong to me (was my grandmother's). I don't want her furniture and other belongings to be thrown out.
You have no right to that stuff anyway...so it really doesn't matter, does it?

sandyclaus

Virginia

What should I do?

You have no right to demand that they store your property at the house, especially if they never agreed to do so, and because you no longer live there or have the right to keep your property there.

It's not your other relatives' fault that you have nowhere else to store your stuff, and they don't NEED to care about that. It's YOUR stuff. Find a friend or other family member willing to store it for you, sell or donate it, or rent a storage unit.

Deal with it or LOSE IT. Those are your only two choices here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">