• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I stop the landlord do this to my shop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justsayyes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? portland.
I lease a space in this strip mall to offer full-service salon in portland. I find out that the landlord has agree to lease the space next to my shop for cosmetology shool. This school offer to teach students about nails only not for hairs. That means i will lose nails service for sure because they offer cheap price. Do i have the right to stop the landlord from allow this school move in or Can i sue the landlord? or how can i make the landlord compensate the lost of business. Any advice?:mad:

Gail in Georgia

"Do i have the right to stop the landlord from allow this school move in "

Unless your lease with the landlord specifically states they can't rent to the competition, no.

" Can i sue the landlord? "

Sure. You'll lose in court though.

"how can i make the landlord compensate the lost of business."

Legally you can't.

"And advice?"

Do these students have to do internships prior to getting licensed? If so, offer to mentor them for a price. They pay you tuition for such.

Gail

TigerD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? portland.
I lease a space in this strip mall to offer full-service salon in portland. I find out that the landlord has agree to lease the space next to my shop for cosmetology shool. This school offer to teach students about nails only not for hairs. That means i will lose nails service for sure because they offer cheap price. Do i have the right to stop the landlord from allow this school move in or Can i sue the landlord? or how can i make the landlord compensate the lost of business. Any advice?:mad:
I must disagree with Gail - not because she isn't likely right, but because there is not enough information to know. You need to have your lease reviewed by a local attorney.

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">