• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do i get out of my lease??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mollylaa

Advice needed

To re-hash the question: i signed a lease in may 2005 through 2006. The lease had a 1-year automatic renewal clause, so it supposedly has now renewed throug may 2007. However, I never initialed that clause to show i acknowledged it, and according to maryland state law this renders the renewal un-enforceable.

So i need some advice: I am moving out at the end of December, for a new job. Should I inform the landlords up front about this loophole- say that i'm leaving and there's nothing legally they can do (i still have a month and a half i need to stay in the house), or wait until I move out, and use it if they try to make me continue to pay rent? I really don't want to go to court.

Thanks!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">