Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Sarahsch is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    30

    How do I get someone to leave my house who doesn't live with me?

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

    I rent a house. My name is the only one on the lease. I have lived in this residence for over two years and I am the sole financial supporter of the house and bills.

    My issue is I can't get my boyfriend to leave. He has no job and has never paid a dime for anything and I don't want to be with him yet he won't go. He has no place of his own and has his belongings at a cousins house with the exception of a few items of clothing at my residence. His mailing address is his cousins house.

    He knows I want him out and that I don't want to be with him, yet he will not leave.

    The police in our town have been called but my boyfriend lies and says he lives here so the police say their hands are tied. This is craziness. HE DOESN'T live with me.

    I want to know if I need to serve him with an eviction notice or can I simply put his things outside next time he leaves to go to the store for example and lock the door.

    Any advice would be appreciated as this is the most bizarre circumstance I have ever been in and it just seems crazy to me.

    Thank you
  2. #2
    JETX is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Somnambulist University
    Posts
    40,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahsch View Post
    My issue is I can't get my boyfriend to leave.
    Your post says that the police won't make him leave, so presumably, they have reviewed your situation and his claims and believe it is a civil matter.

    So, you will have to follow the civil procedures. This means that you will have to follow your state eviction processes, written notice, lawsuit and all.

    Read and follow the information at:
    [url=http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=5881]Minnesota Eviction and Collection Law for Landlords[/url]
    and
    [url]www.mmha.com/Resources/Eviction%20Brochure.pdf[/url]
  3. #3
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York. Long Island.
    Posts
    7,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahsch View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

    I rent a house. My name is the only one on the lease. I have lived in this residence for over two years and I am the sole financial supporter of the house and bills.

    My issue is I can't get my boyfriend to leave.
    He has no job and has never paid a dime for anything and I don't want to be with him yet he won't go. He has no place of his own and has his belongings at a cousins house with the exception of a few items of clothing at my residence. His mailing address is his cousins house.

    He knows I want him out and that I don't want to be with him, yet he will not leave.

    The police in our town have been called but my boyfriend lies and says he lives here so the police say their hands are tied. This is craziness. HE DOESN'T live with me.

    I want to know if I need to serve him with an eviction notice or can I simply put his things outside next time he leaves to go to the store for example and lock the door.

    Any advice would be appreciated as this is the most bizarre circumstance I have ever been in and it just seems crazy to me.

    Thank you

    You already have the answer from the police. He lives with you. if you put his stuff outside, and it gets damaged, you will be responsible for it. Plus he lives there so you cant just lock him out.

    If he has things there and has stayed with you overnight, and you claim he is your boyfriend, then he lives with you.

    You need to go about your county's directions for evicting him. Better safe then sorry,

    You may get different answers for this but I say, if he is going to say he lives there, then he lives there, and you need to evict him according to your counties rules to evict.

    And one more time, in case you were too busy telling yourself "he doesn't live here" to have heard me clearly,,, He lives there and you need to evict him properly.
    Last edited by Banned_Princess; 10-03-2009 at 12:30 PM.
  4. #4
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York. Long Island.
    Posts
    7,711
    Ps if you didnt want him to be there so bad, then you would have refered to him as your ex boyfriend, not "my boyfriend"


    Oh yea, you are going to have to evict him.




    He lives there.






    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
  5. #5
    ecmst12 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    35,445
    I think you have a decent case that he does NOT live there. If it were me, I'd put the few things that he has at your place outside and change the locks at the next available opportunity. Let him try to sue - he doesn't receive mail there and has only a few items of clothing, not enough evidence of residency.
  6. #6
    Sarahsch is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    30
    No, he has never received any mail here. I asked him to stay at my house while I was traveling for work as I have house cats. I was gone almost 3 weeks, and I came back he wouldn't leave. He said he wanted to move in with me and I said no, no way, he knew I wanted to end things.

    So here I am a week later and have tried to use the police to remove him from my home but they say as long as he says he lives here they can not interfere. I rent from my sister and brother n law and they even told the police he does not live with me.

    It looks like I will have to go the route of eviction. This whole thing seems crazy to me. In what I call the real world, a discussion is made between a couple to move in together. If someone is my boyfriend, of course I would have him spend the night sometimes but I didn't realize that was an unspoken rule that he now lives with me and can invade on my space that I have worked hard to create on my own.

    I would never assume I live with someone when being asked to spend the night or house sit. That seems ludicrous. He obviously is more troubled then I knew of.

    Thank you everyone for your advice. If anyone knows of a site I can go to to do this online I would appreciate it.

    Oh and to the person who is agitated by the fact I called him my boyfriend, so sorry but technically I guess if he is "living" with me after 5 years of us being together, yah I still call him my boyfriend. I will try to correct myself in the future just for you.

    Enjoy your weekend!
  7. #7
    Sarahsch is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    30
    I didn't see this before- Thanks for this information- GREATLY appreciated


    Quote Originally Posted by JETX View Post
    Your post says that the police won't make him leave, so presumably, they have reviewed your situation and his claims and believe it is a civil matter.

    So, you will have to follow the civil procedures. This means that you will have to follow your state eviction processes, written notice, lawsuit and all.

    Read and follow the information at:
    [url=http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=5881]Minnesota Eviction and Collection Law for Landlords[/url]
    and
    [url]www.mmha.com/Resources/Eviction%20Brochure.pdf[/url]
  8. #8
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York. Long Island.
    Posts
    7,711
    Quote Originally Posted by ecmst12 View Post
    I think you have a decent case that he does NOT live there. If it were me, I'd put the few things that he has at your place outside and change the locks at the next available opportunity. Let him try to sue - he doesn't receive mail there and has only a few items of clothing, not enough evidence of residency.
    Also true, but if the police have already determined they are not going to make him leave, it is going to be hard not letting him in...

    All he has to do is call the police that she is not letting him in to his home, and they are going to make her let him in.

    Then he can use that in court, that the police wouldnt make him leave because they determined it to be a civil matter because he lives there.


    This is one of thoes cases that are on the line. it could really go both ways. He says, she says. Very complicated.

    If he is going to state to officials that he in fact lives there, and has stayed there for any period of time, it is just safer to go the long legal route of eviction.

    This may be a good time to change the locks, and go on a looong vacation.
  9. #9
    Alaska landlord is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,095
    Throw his stuff out. He has no job or means by which he can fight you in court. If the police come a knocking, don't open the door. They cannot force you to let him in and cannot enter without a warrant. Should your xbf somehow get the money to sue you, then you can state your case in court. Regardless you will feel much better knowing that you have put an end to the drama.
  10. #10
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    With Capt'n Hook
    Posts
    11,353
    Nothing says that the LANDLORD can't change the locks and give a valid key to the only legal tenant, no?
  11. #11
    Cvillecpm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,552
    TBL * this is not the property owner's fight...she made a poor choice of a BF and she needs to have the locks changed on her dime AND then give key to the landlord AFTER THE FACT!!!
  12. #12
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    With Capt'n Hook
    Posts
    11,353
    I understand WHO has to pay - the OP. But, the LANDLORD has the right to change the locks on the premise and give keys to the legal tenant. (just a little way around the problem - LEGALLY.)
  13. #13
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York. Long Island.
    Posts
    7,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahsch View Post
    No, he has never received any mail here. I asked him to stay at my house while I was traveling for work as I have house cats. I was gone almost 3 weeks, and I came back he wouldn't leave. He said he wanted to move in with me and I said no, no way, he knew I wanted to end things.

    So here I am a week later and have tried to use the police to remove him from my home but they say as long as he says he lives here they can not interfere. I rent from my sister and brother n law and they even told the police he does not live with me.

    It looks like I will have to go the route of eviction. This whole thing seems crazy to me. In what I call the real world, a discussion is made between a couple to move in together. If someone is my boyfriend, of course I would have him spend the night sometimes but I didn't realize that was an unspoken rule that he now lives with me and can invade on my space that I have worked hard to create on my own.

    I would never assume I live with someone when being asked to spend the night or house sit. That seems ludicrous. He obviously is more troubled then I knew of.

    Thank you everyone for your advice. If anyone knows of a site I can go to to do this online I would appreciate it.

    Oh and to the person who is agitated by the fact I called him my boyfriend, so sorry but technically I guess if he is "living" with me after 5 years of us being together, yah I still call him my boyfriend. I will try to correct myself in the future just for you.

    Enjoy your weekend!
    He has been there staying for a month, while you were not there, ... He lives there. I know it is ludicrous but hey, thats the way the cookie crumbles.

    You cannot do this "online" No way, you have to go to the courthouse an file what they want you to file.

    And dont listen to civillplum, that will get you in trouble, and in debt to him if a judge decides he did live there, and if his belongings get damaged, lost or stolen while you had them outside.


    The police have already told you what you have to do, so do it.

    Contact a lawyer in your phone book, get a consultation, and take it from there.


    You should have had your landlord/sister look over your cats.

    Good luck.
  14. #14
    Cvillecpm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,552
    OP's poor choice of people who she gives keys to is evidence of her undesirability as a tenant....her lease may not be renewed if the property owner finds out about the situation...a 30 day for EVERYONE is the BEST SUGGESTION
  15. #15
    Alaska landlord is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,095
    OP, talk to your GF's and ask how they get rid of unwanted men in their homes. I am sure one of them will come up with the answer. The answer is so simple you would slap yourself in the head for not thinking of it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 11:14 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 10:37 AM
  3. Collection Calls to house where debter doesn't live anymore
    By brodave2 in forum Debt Collections
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 08:28 PM
  4. My soon-ex-to-be doesn't want to sell the house or leave it
    By LSMiami in forum Divorce, Separation & Annulment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2002, 08:03 PM
  5. Husband won't leave unless we buy a house for him to live in.
    By woeismeat43 in forum Divorce, Separation & Annulment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-15-2002, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.