• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I go about breaking a lease on a house rental. We signed up for a year lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gail in Georgia

More details are needed.

Generally unless the unit is uninhabitable for some reason, a tenant who breaks a lease would be responsible for the rent until another renter can be found to take their place.

Gail

Hot Topic

You can break your lease without penalty if you're in the military and being transferred.

Otherwise, you need to look at your lease and see what, if any, provisions it includes for early termination. If you're lucky, the landlord may let you move if you forfeit your security deposit.

Offer to help the landlord find a new tenant (and expect to pay his expenses for doing so). You'll be responsible for the rent until the landlord finds the tenant, and while he has to make a good faith effort to do so, he doesn't have to accept just anyone so you can stop paying rent on two places.

time 4 change

Thanks

again, i recieved some great advice from you all**************.thank you hot topic and gail for your input. i will talk to the land lord and see what we can work out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">