• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you know you have an eviction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pkhang

What is the name of your state? California

Ok, well---I didn't know I had an eviction on my renter's profile just until today---waiting to get an answer back to get an apartment. My husband and I found out that we got this eviction last year. We remember we got 3-day notices and Pay Rent or Quit notices but we talked to management and they actually gave us a time frame to move out and they wouldn't even put it on our credit. But I guess they did. I thought that you had to be taken to court to even get an eviction on your records, or I am wrong?? Now, we don't have a place to live--been in a motel for a month now. Someone sugguested that we go talk to the old apartment managers about this--but I want to know a little more about evictions before we actually talked to them.

Need to know ASAP.

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state? California

Ok, well---I didn't know I had an eviction on my renter's profile just until today---waiting to get an answer back to get an apartment. My husband and I found out that we got this eviction last year. We remember we got 3-day notices and Pay Rent or Quit notices but we talked to management and they actually gave us a time frame to move out and they wouldn't even put it on our credit.
EVICTIONS do NOT get put on credit reports. The judgment from being sued due to an eviction is put on your credit report.

But I guess they did. I thought that you had to be taken to court to even get an eviction on your records, or I am wrong??
See above. If you were NOT properly served, than you can get this judgment removed. BUT you will have to PROVE that you were served. Ask for their proof.

pkhang

How do I know there's an eviciton?

Ok--so it's not on my credit report---but
The judgment from being sued due to an eviction is put on your credit report.

See above. If you were NOT properly served, than you can get this judgment removed. BUT you will have to PROVE that you were served. Ask for their proof.
How are you being properly served? Who can I go to--to get this judgment removed? So then there's only a "judgment from being sued due to an eviction" so it's not an eviction? Is there a difference? The apartments I went to apply at said that I have an eviction--is that the same whether it's "judgment from being sued due to an eviction"?

pkhang

Eviction on your credit report or did they contact your landlord on a background check?
I think--not for sure--that they did rental verification because on the application I could only fit so much address that I had lived at. The old address pop up on my credit reports, so maybe they verified it with the landlords. I don't have any judgments on my credit reports either. We didn't argue with them--they negotiated with us--they gave us the time that they wanted us to move---no going into court--and we got another place and left00turned in the keys and everything--talked to them. They said ok--as long as we were out by then everything should be good. So I guess we're going to have to go talk to the landlords there about it.

Most likely, the new apartment complex checked your civil, municipal, or housing court record and found an eviction. The other posters are correct, an eviction does not show up on your credit report. However, some credit agencies will do an eviction record check for the LL when they do the credit report. So it may have been pulled at the same time as the credit report.

What does show up on the actual credit report is a monetary judgement. That is when the LL files a case in small claims court to get the money that a tenant owed to him after the eviction. The LL files the case to get unpaid rent, damages to the apartment, or other monies owed. If a tenant doesn't show up for this hearing after being notified, the LL wins the judgement. The judgement than gets placed on the credit report. It will lower your credit score, raise the interest rates you pay on most items bought on credit (time), and can result in wage garnishment or bank account attachment.

If you never recieved proper notification from either hearing (eviction or judgement) you need to contact the courts that heard these cases. Explain to the court that you never received notice of these hearings. They can look up the proof that was submitted to the court that you were served. If it turns out that you were not served properly according to the law, the court can vacate these rulings and schedule new hearings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">