• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to evict someone from an illegal apartment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

astroqueen74

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, just join!

A friend of mine's tenant fell behind a few months ago, the tenant fell 3 months behind, and my friend was nice enough to work out a payment plan and whatnot. Still caused her to fall behind the mortgage, bills etc. Well, tenant is back on the same hole again. This time she wants to evict her. The problem is that is it’s a basement apartment (illegal) how can she without any problems and get the tenant to move out. Can she obtain an eviction notice from the Sheriff or will that be opening a can of worms??

What are other ways to evict someone from an illegal apartment? And how long do you give them? Week or month?

Thank you all in advance. I hope I can get some feedback, so I can forward it to her.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, just join!

A friend of mine's tenant fell behind a few months ago, the tenant fell 3 months behind, and my friend was nice enough to work out a payment plan and whatnot. Still caused her to fall behind the mortgage, bills etc. Well, tenant is back on the same hole again. This time she wants to evict her. The problem is that is it’s a basement apartment (illegal) how can she without any problems and get the tenant to move out. Can she obtain an eviction notice from the Sheriff or will that be opening a can of worms??

What are other ways to evict someone from an illegal apartment? And how long do you give them? Week or month?

Thank you all in advance. I hope I can get some feedback, so I can forward it to her.
**A: direct her to read the NY L/T law. That's a start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">