• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long can property stay in house after being evicted, if not taken by tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gonecrazee

i live in new jersey, my neighbors was evicted, and they havent removed any of their belongings.they had a court order to leave in one week if they did not pay the back rent owed to the landlord by 4pm on feb 15th.since this court date they have not returned to the rented home. so my question is this,how long does the landlord have to wait before he can remove thier stuff out of his house ? also does he remove it or the sheriff ?

D

dj1

The safest is have a sheriff do it, they will move it to a storage locker...

G

gonecrazee

how long can property stay in house after being evicted,if not taken by tenant

ok,so now i can tell him he should contact the sheriff to do it, now how long does he have to wait before he can do this, or can he do it a.s.a.p?

S

sgt.lou

need a court order

HI
THE OWNER MUST GO TO THE SHERIFFS DEPT.. A COURT ORDER WILL BE ISSUED AFTER THE WEEK. THE SHERIFFS DEPT. WILL RESPOND AND PLACE A LOCK AND A NOTICE ON THE DOOR. THEY WILL USUALLY ALSO ALLOW YOU TO PLACE THE PROPERTY IN STORAGE WITH A COURT ORDER AS WELL AND THE TENANT WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL COST. I AM PRETTY SURE THIS IS HOW IT WORKS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">