• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can a tenant stay without paying rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr manager

What is the name of your state? Ca

I am a manager of a building took a tenant with bad credit but took a 3,000 dollar security deposit and although paying a week late the first two months of the lease, she now has not paid for two months and we gave her a 3 day notice to quit then after still not paying we served her court papers. Her attitude is well you give a me a signed paper saying we will drop this case or I will not give you the keys and the remote control. She obviously is not worried cause her credit is already messed up but she has no idea that we are going to get a judgement against her and really screw her credit up for 9 years. She said if you dont give me that paper that releases me i will stay in the apartment for the next six months.

My question is how long can she legally stay in this apartment without paying rent???? Thank you in advance!

BL

She can't without paying rent . Evict her , and change the locks .

Make sure you follow the rules of Laws .

Last edited:

FarmerJ

let the matter go into court with you following your states proceedures for someone who wont pay . if the court gives her X number of days and she is still in the unit go back to the clerk of the court and ask for a written order directing the county sherrifs dept to do what they have to to begin the process of them going there to literally bodily remove her . In my state it is called a writ of restitution, wich the LL orders at the clerk of the court desk and must take to the sherrif dept . then the sheriff post to the property and with in 24 to 48 hours can go back and literally take the tenant out the door and off the premises . every state has different proceedures and perhaps your clerk of the court in your county may have pamphlets explaining the process in your state .

HomeGuru

mr manager said:
What is the name of your state? Ca

My question is how long can she legally stay in this apartment without paying rent???? Thank you in advance!

**A: when court papers are filed, as long as the court allows the tenant to stay.

mr manager

Thanks for the advice ya'll

I am taking a real-estate course and found out that in most cases the tenant can stay in the apartment sometimes up to 6 months! Is that true?.......all that comes to mind when I hear this is the movie something heights where the person stayed in the apartment and destroyed it for one year! It's funny how she talkes with us she says things like "You cant do nothing to me, I know my rights" and "don't threatin me or I will stay for six months" and this is a women who has two kids.....pretty scary huh"

ENASNI

movie

"Pacific Heights"
Micheal Keaton, Melanie Griffith
I hear its required subject matieral to be watched for real estate students in Cali. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">