• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long can they take to return my deposit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lia_joy

I moved out of an apartment in Florida in August. My lease says they have 15 days to return the deposit (or a letter saying what they used it for). I am in a poor financial situation, and need that money back as soon as possible to cover bills. Now they are telling me that they have 30 days because Florida law now allows them 30 days. That Doesn't sound right to me. The lease says 15 days, not 15 days or whatever the law is at the time, and I was never notified of the change. They are acting like the law says they HAVE TO wait 30 days. Can they change the terms without telling me? If I am right, is there anything I can do? It's been over 20 days already.:confused:

A

annefan1000

It's timely that this issue was brought up. I was just colloborating with another realtor in my office about this and I only learned this morning that in PENNSYLVANIA and New Jersey there is a law concerning changing clauses in a lease agreement after the lease is in effect. Apparently this can be done only when there is a change in a law relating to that clause. It is called Commercial Frustration (no pun intended).

Something to ponder, though this is the PA/NJ law. I believe that in Florida the landlord has 15-45 days to return a security deposit, depending on whether tenant disputes deductions.

R

rapunzel41

in florida, the landlord has 15 days to return the money from your security deposit , IF they plan to send back all the money.
they have 30 DAYS to write you a formal letter stating their intention to claim on your security deposit.
i am absolutely sure of this.
therefore, if 15 days or more have passed and you have not received your money, i would venture that you are not getting any or all of your money back.
now, if they dont write you that letter in 30 days, well - that's a different set of circumstances.
there are lawful provisions for the landlord not contacting you/or returning the money.
see florida statute chapter 83.
www.myflorida.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">