• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How many days does a landlord have to charge for damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vollbree88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I moved out of my apartment on May 28, 2009. It has been nearly 3 months and I did not receive a bill for damages until today. A friend who lived in the complex told me that she was billed $700--She said she was going to dispute it. I think my "friend" mentioned to the complex that I was not billed for cleaning and painting like she was... so here I am today, with a very similar bill to the one she received. As far as I know, they have a specific amount of days to notify me of charges... I read the lease up and down about 6 times to see if it mentioned in there a time frame, couldn't find a single thing. My "friend" received hers within 2 weeks of moving out... Somebody moved into my apartment within weeks of me moving out. I don't really find myself liable for these charges, it's almost 3 months to the date of when I moved out.. I had been told in the past that they had 30 days to notify me... In fact, I did receive a bill from them for $18 about 3 weeks after I moved out--which I paid. I tried calling the complex today but they weren't in... I will try again tomorrow. The letter states I'll be sent to a collection agency if I don't pay within 30 days.

Any help appreciated!

ecmst12

Don't pay the bill, send a letter stating that they did not send the accounting of your security deposit and additional charges within a reasonable time frame after moving out and they have forfeited the right to charge you anything. If they don't leave you alone, sue them for your full deposit in small claims court.

vollbree88

Pay the bill...you knew you would OWE something and they are sending you to collection
I paid the $18 they charged after move out. It stated clearly that those were my final charges and my account at the complex would be CLOSED after I paid it... I paid it days after receiving it. 3 months after moving out is NOT reasonable for sending charges. Everything I've read has said the landlord has 30-45 days to charge... Not 90. That is ridiculous. And no, I did NOT know I would owe anything... I paid what they said I owed, the $18. I'm not paying $500 because somebody else complained.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">