• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much notice am I entitled to by law for termination of a month to month PA lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Notthemayor

I live in Pennsylvania; specifically Western PA, since I believe there are some real estate laws in PA unique to Philadelphia that would not apply here.

I have rented the same apartment for 20 years. In August of 2008, I did not receive the usual annual renewal and simply continued to pay the rent at the existing rate.

I saw the landlord in person on several occasions afterward but the lease status was never mentioned. There was no discussion or notification of any change.

In February I received a letter stating the building was for sale, but that my month to month lease would continue in the meantime.

February was the first time the month to month lease, as opposed to the annual one, was ever mentioned.

Now the building is in the process of being sold, and the prospective owner wishes to renovate. Basically, he is going to gut my unit, which will require me to move.

I have not received any legal or written notice of this, however. He simply mentioned it when he was here over the weekend.

How much time am I entitled to after official notification and what sort of legal notification is required to start the clock running? Does my length of residence have any impact on the amount of notice required? Is my lease actually month to month, since the landlord waited about 6 months to make that claim?

Alaska landlord

I live in Pennsylvania; specifically Western PA, since I believe there are some real estate laws in PA unique to Philadelphia that would not apply here.

I have rented the same apartment for 20 years. In August of 2008, I did not receive the usual annual renewal and simply continued to pay the rent at the existing rate.

I saw the landlord in person on several occasions afterward but the lease status was never mentioned. There was no discussion or notification of any change.

In February I received a letter stating the building was for sale, but that my month to month lease would continue in the meantime.

February was the first time the month to month lease, as opposed to the annual one, was ever mentioned.

Now the building is in the process of being sold, and the prospective owner wishes to renovate. Basically, he is going to gut my unit, which will require me to move.

I have not received any legal or written notice of this, however. He simply mentioned it when he was here over the weekend.

How much time am I entitled to after official notification and what sort of legal notification is required to start the clock running? Does my length of residence have any impact on the amount of notice required? Is my lease actually month to month, since the landlord waited about 6 months to make that claim?
In PA the usual notification is 15 or 30 days depending on the time of the year or your rental agreement.

ecmst12

If you didn't sign a term renewal, then you are automatically month to month. Better start looking for a new place now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">