• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much time do I have to cancel a lease after being lied to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carddeck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I was shown a room in Queens. Before I arrived, I asked if it had a window. When I arrived, there was a window with a window AC unit, so it appeared to be a normal windo to the outside.
Today when I showed up with my things, I looked out and the window does not open into fresh air but an enclosure (between two buildings).
Is there any way I can break the lease.
The landlord showed up last night with a brand new year lease which I signed with the other 3 girls (who had lived there previously). The landlord told me my to pay my deposit to the girl leaving. The lease was several docs long and I paid $100 for the credit check the lease agent ran on me.
Please let me know. Due to move in Sept. 1

Gail in Georgia

" Before I arrived, I asked if it had a window."

"When I arrived, there was a window with a window AC unit, so it appeared to be a normal windo to the outside."

You asked if the room had a window. The room has a window. You didn't ask if the window opened to "fresh air". You had a chance to view the room and the window. You then signed a lease.

Why are you claiming someone lied to you about this?

Gail

xylene

Instead of focusing on being lied to, I would pursue the legality of the bedroom itself.

A window to an 'enclosure' may not cut it with regards to egress requirements.

LdiJ

Instead of focusing on being lied to, I would pursue the legality of the bedroom itself.

A window to an 'enclosure' may not cut it with regards to egress requirements.
Depending on her definition of "enclosure".

eerelations

A window looking out onto an airshaft (which is what "between two buildings" sounds like) is still a window (especially if it has a window aircon unit installed in it). So no lying here. If OP had wanted a window with a view (of something other than an airshaft), she should've asked for that specifically.

Last edited:

xylene

Yeah, better not call 311 and report your concerns about the possibly illegal bedroom and definitely don't want bring up air quality concerns either.

FlyingRon

We call those "air shafts" in NYC. They're a fact of certain older buildings. I don't see any "lie" here. If you wanted to know if the window opened to the street rather than an airshaft, you should have asked that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">