• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to recover for damages??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ebeley100

What is the name of your state? Delaware

I recently rented my house to a "friend" who promptly ruined all of my carpets and furniture. I allowed him to rent my place without gettting a security deposit.

What is the best way to document the damage (pics, receipts, reports of third parties etc) as well as sue for the cost of replacing said items?

I know I have to file at the JOP, I guess I am just wondering how I can prove all of this.

fairlight

You need "before and after" pictures or even a video tape of the property you say was ruined. It would help to have receipts issued when you purchased said property. There will be some depreciation, of course, meaning that you can't expect to be compensated for the entire amount. It would help, too, to have someone who had seen the property before the friend moved in and seen it after.

ebeley100

Thanks. Unfortunately, I do not have before pictures, however I do have after pictures of CLEAR neglect. My only other option is to try and use an appraisal that was made on my property approximately 3 months before I moved out. Unfortunately my friend was living at my house BEFORE I moved out as my roommate...

S

shell007

You can go to small claims court, but YOU are going to have to PROVE that he did the damages.

This is a clear case of he said/she said.

Only the judge can decide the outcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">