• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Remove Ex Spouse from Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catlvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
My current lease has my name and my soon-to-be ex's name on it. My ex has never lived at the property with me and my children. The lease is up for renewal in October. I asked my landlord to remove my ex from the lease and was told that it couldn't be done. Is there any way that I can have him removed from the lease as I do not want to be in the position where I have to obtain his signature every year.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
My current lease has my name and my soon-to-be ex's name on it. My ex has never lived at the property with me and my children. The lease is up for renewal in October. I asked my landlord to remove my ex from the lease and was told that it couldn't be done. Is there any way that I can have him removed from the lease as I do not want to be in the position where I have to obtain his signature every year.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
no. all three parties need to agree to remove / add person to the lease. if LL refuses, there can be no movement. not even at renewal.

tell them if they don't cooperate, you WILL move at the end of your lease.

that way you can get a new lease on your own.

the security for where you are living now will likely come back (if at all) in both of your names, so the problem wont stop at moving at the end of your lease.

Send in your written notice now that you are leaving in October. CRR.

Gail in Georgia

You say your husband has never lived there. Does he pay any of the rent? If so, can you afford this rental unit on your income alone? Would a screening on your credit show that you could?

If he's never lived there, why was his name included in the lease?

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">