+ Reply to Thread
    mathrice is offline Junior Member

HUD in NC...Carpet Cleaning?

North Carolina

My Mother in Law rents a HUD apartment and has had a lease now for over a year (2 in October)...is the landlord responsible for having the carpet cleaned once a year or will she have to pay for this to be done herself?
    racer72 is offline Senior Member
    Tenants are generally responsible for the cleanliness of the rental unit including carpet cleaning if/as required.
    If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me.

No private messages, I do not reply to them.
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    She should send to them written request for information about it via mail like say with her June rent but send it confirmed mail delivery asking them if they have a fee to clean carpeting and if they do how much . she can state in her request her reason for asking is she was thinking about hiring a local carpet cleaning firm but thought they might actually already have some one or even their own crews to do it. ( if they have their own crew or someone they call even if there is a fee and somehow the carpet is damaged in the cleaning process it will be harder for them to hold your mom responsible)
    sandyclaus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mathrice View Post
    North Carolina

My Mother in Law rents a HUD apartment and has had a lease now for over a year (2 in October)...is the landlord responsible for having the carpet cleaned once a year or will she have to pay for this to be done herself?
    Why on earth would the LL be responsible for cleaning something that your mother-in-law made dirty? She made it dirty, she's responsible for cleaning it.

carpet cleaning reply

The only reason I was asking, is because I lived in Florida for several years and in a few different apartment complexes with leases...In those situations, it was agreed upon that the complex would pay for carpet cleaning once a year while we still lived there. I wasn't sure how it worked in North Carolina, so I posted the question here. Thank you to those who politely answered my question.

:-)

carpet cleaning reply 2

I agree that the carpet may be dirty because my Mother in Law has lived here nearly 2 years...I ran a carpet / upholstery cleaning business for 15+ years and I understand the normal wear and tear, believe me. Some complexes make it standard to agree to have it cleaned 1-2 times a year, depending on the length of the lease, pets or no pets, etc. I had contracts with several complexes over the years to clean the carpets in apartments...some bi-yearly and some yearly...it was just a courtesy in many cases and in some it was in the lease.
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    I have never lived in an apartment where the management company cleaned the carpet for free.

My best friend's building however, cleans her carpet with every lease renewal. Granted, they raise her rent $100 so her carpet cleaning costs her $1200.