• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am the tenant; apartment in complex has flea infestation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sautch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I have been living in the same apartment in a complex for about six months. I have a dog that goes outside. The dog has been continuously treated for fleas (FrontLine and Sentry bought over the counter at Petco/Petsmart, so no vet documentation other than at every visit she was flea-free).

We have gradually noticed that we have a flea problem, and as of a couple of nights ago, we began to be bitten by the fleas.

Our front doors do not go all the way down to the floor and we have several large windows facing conservation land that is frequented by many wild animals. Additionally, tenants just moved in next door with a dog.

Our lease states: "Residents with pets who complain about flees, or who are determined to be the cause of flees, will be required to exterminate the flees at their own expense."

But I thought in MA, pest control was the responsibility of the landlord?

If we do have to flea bomb our own apartment, do we need to notify our neighbors or the front office? If we notify the front office, they give us the OK, and then someone becomes ill from the flea bomb, are we released from liability?

Thank you for any advice!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I have been living in the same apartment in a complex for about six months. I have a dog that goes outside. The dog has been continuously treated for fleas (FrontLine and Sentry bought over the counter at Petco/Petsmart, so no vet documentation other than at every visit she was flea-free).

We have gradually noticed that we have a flea problem, and as of a couple of nights ago, we began to be bitten by the fleas.

Our front doors do not go all the way down to the floor and we have several large windows facing conservation land that is frequented by many wild animals. Additionally, tenants just moved in next door with a dog.

Our lease states: "Residents with pets who complain about flees, or who are determined to be the cause of flees, will be required to exterminate the flees at their own expense."

But I thought in MA, pest control was the responsibility of the landlord?

If we do have to flea bomb our own apartment, do we need to notify our neighbors or the front office? If we notify the front office, they give us the OK, and then someone becomes ill from the flea bomb, are we released from liability?

Thank you for any advice!
Get a bag of Sevin dust. Sprinkle it on the carpet. Vacuum in 24 hours. No more fleas. Won't hurt dogs/carpets/children. Way easier and more effective than flea bombs. :cool:

LdiJ

Get a bag of Sevin dust. Sprinkle it on the carpet. Vacuum in 24 hours. No more fleas. Won't hurt dogs/carpets/children. Way easier and more effective than flea bombs. :cool:
And try Revolution on your dog instead of the other products you have used.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I used Comfortis on my dog with great luck - I caught the problem early but wish to totally eliminate it. Fleas dead in 30 minutes. Treated the carpet in a manner as suggested by TheGeekess and vacuumed like mad. Apparently my neighborhood has a serious problem.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I used Comfortis on my dog with great luck - I caught the problem early but wish to totally eliminate it. Fleas dead in 30 minutes. Treated the carpet in a manner as suggested by TheGeekess and vacuumed like mad. Apparently my neighborhood has a serious problem.
Some folks don't realize that fleas will also ride in with them. I knew a man who was spreading his flea infestation across several residences he would visit. :cool:

Just Blue

Some folks don't realize that fleas will also ride in with them. I knew a man who was spreading his flea infestation across several residences he would visit. :cool:
I had two INDOOR cats and they were INFESTED with flees. The little buggers came in our home from the indoor/outdoor cats on the 2nd floor. Sprayed, bombed and sent our cats to a vet for treatments. STILL had an issue untill LL sent in an exterminator. I. HATE. FLEES!!!!

BTW The 2nd floor tenants ended up paying the bill in the end. As they should have.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I had two INDOOR cats and they were INFESTED with flees. The little buggers came in our home from the indoor/outdoor cats on the 2nd floor. Sprayed, bombed and sent our cats to a vet for treatments. STILL had an issue untill LL sent in an exterminator. I. HATE. FLEES!!!!

BTW The 2nd floor tenants ended up paying the bill in the end. As they should have.
I've had three or so flea infestations. Sevin dust and treating the animal took care of the problem. The third infestation (involving the dude with the serious infestation) I solved by not allowing him at my home anymore and treating my house with Sevin dust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">