• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I didn't look the leasing contract throughly and signed it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AliceL

I'm in Philadelphia PA. So I have been emailing the landlord and we confirmed the price for each month for an apartment. Yesterday I received the contract from the landlord. The place that I needed to sign was highlighted. I thought we had all detail discussed so I signed it without looking. Now I realize the rent fee is different from our previous discussion. So what do I do now?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm in Philadelphia PA. So I have been emailing the landlord and we confirmed the price for each month for an apartment. Yesterday I received the contract from the landlord. The place that I needed to sign was highlighted. I thought we had all detail discussed so I signed it without looking. Now I realize the rent fee is different from our previous discussion. So what do I do now?
Talk to your landlord about the discrepancy...it may simply be a clerical error.

AdoptADog

No I just signed the contract
I have to defer to the experts, but my inclination, if it were me, is to tear it up if the new rate is unacceptable, tell the LL I want the agreed upon rate, and if the LL says no, look for another place.

The experts can tell you if you had a verbal agreement that can be enforced. I am not sure on that one.

justalayman

I have to defer to the experts, but my inclination, if it were me, is to tear it up if the new rate is unacceptable, tell the LL I want the agreed upon rate, and if the LL says no, look for another place.

The experts can tell you if you had a verbal agreement that can be enforced. I am not sure on that one.
if the OP signed the contract and returned it, the agreed upon price is what the written contract stated.

If they have not returned the contract, then there is no binding contract and the OP is free to attempt to negotiate a new price.

Just Blue

That is what I would do!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">