• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I forgot to sign a part of my lease, after moving in my landlord wants me to sign it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dynastar

I'm in Colorado, and, as the title states, my roomates and I forgot to sign a page of the lease, as did the landlord.

We've been moved in for weeks now, and our landlord called up, requesting we remedy this error.

Are we obliged to do this? Are we bound to the lease if we don't have to sign?
Any references to the law would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks very much in advance!

Antigone*

I'm in Colorado, and, as the title states, my roomates and I forgot to sign a page of the lease, as did the landlord.

We've been moved in for weeks now, and our landlord called up, requesting we remedy this error.

Are we obliged to do this? Are we bound to the lease if we don't have to sign?
Any references to the law would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks very much in advance!
...:confused: hello... :eek:...and what makes you think you shouldn't. You moved in, didn't you?

dynastar

...:confused: hello... :eek:...and what makes you think you shouldn't. You moved in, didn't you?
Thanks for the quick response.

The landlord has turned out to be abrasive and unhelpful towards us, so we aren't looking to do any favors for them.

We did move in, but the fact that they didn't check the lease for signatures isn't our problem. I know we're not obligated to sign any addendums after we move in, so I'm not sure we need to sign this. But I have no idea. So any help would be much appreciated.

Banned_Princess

What does the page say? Why would you not want to sign it? opposite from "not doing any favors" because I get that. Is it important terms you dont agree too?

dynastar

What does the page say? Why would you not want to sign it? opposite from "not doing any favors" because I get that. Is it important terms you dont agree too?
We don't want to sign it in case we have to go to court for whatever reason. And, of course, if the law allows us room not to sign it, then we won't. We actually saw a lawyer through our college (we're not students now, so that's not an option) previously, due to some unenforceable provisions in the lease, which was very helpful.

It's the signature for the boilerplate NAA lease (Each page of the lease is initialed, however).

However, all the other addendums modifying the unsigned NAA lease are correctly signed.

If there's anything else that needs answering, let me know.

Last edited:

Cvillecpm

You don't need to sign; HOWEVER, since the page was presented to you prior to move-in, and you moved in * you ratified the agreement and the lease terms and wording. Had you not wanted to agree to the page, you should not have moved in.

Better find another reason to break your lease.

dynastar

You don't need to sign; HOWEVER, since the page was presented to you prior to move-in, and you moved in * you ratified the agreement and the lease terms and wording. Had you not wanted to agree to the page, you should not have moved in.

Better find another reason to break your lease.
I'm not actually looking to break my lease at all. Fantastic place, terrible management.

I kind of figured as much that since we initialed every page we pretty much agreed to it. Thanks.

If anyone has other input I'd love to hear it.

Banned_Princess

I'm not actually looking to break my lease at all. Fantastic place, terrible management.

I kind of figured as much that since we initialed every page we pretty much agreed to it. Thanks.

If anyone has other input I'd love to hear it.
I agree, since you signed the complete lease, with the page included, and the page in question is initaled by you, he is breaking your ba***.

But if her persists, and you withhold, you may only spend your lease period there and find a non-renewal next year. Since you *love it, you should just do what the dummie wants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">