• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i have no heat!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? Mississippi

yep, me again...

Ok repair and deduct has worked nicely but now it is suddenly winter and I have no heat. Surely essentials like heat don't have to play by the rules of repair and deduct, right? What should I do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TaxiDriver said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi

What should I do?

My response:

So, are you just going to sit there and shiver, or will it ever dawn on you to go out and buy a couple of space heaters?

Duh!!

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TaxiDriver said:
Gee, I wonder if you are a landlord...

My response:

Gee, and I wonder if you're an idiot.

You didn't even ask an intelligible question. What the hell were you trying to say with this: "Surely essentials like heat don't have to play by the rules of repair and deduct, right?"

How does heat "play by the rules"?

IAAL

What is your source for heat when it does work? I may have a couple things for you to try so you can at least have some heat for Thanksgiving depending on the answer.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tryingtoplease said:
What is your source for heat when it does work? I may have a couple things for you to try so you can at least have some heat for Thanksgiving depending on the answer.

My response:

1. Space heaters.

2. Bonfire in living room.

3. Bring car in house. Turn on heater.

4. Let your spouse blow hot air.

5. Use lots of matches. Watch your fingers!

6. Wrap yourself in so many blankets, you can't move.

7. Ask the squirrels, raccoons, and other varmints to huddle with you.

There are many more ideas . . .

IAAL

Ok allow me to elaborate for the people with no common sense. Yes, I have already told the landlord, but if the landlord cared about fixing things I wouldn't be using "repair and deduct" tactics (Duh). And yes, I have a space heater but since I pay rent for a home with central heat and air I would like to see the landlord fulfill her responsibility as a landlord (Duh).

Tryingtoplease, it's central heat so all I know is I flip the switch on the thermostat and nothing happens.

And thanks in advance to anyone genuinely trying to help. =)

HomeGuru

TaxiDriver said:
Ok allow me to elaborate for the people with no common sense. Yes, I have already told the landlord, but if the landlord cared about fixing things I wouldn't be using "repair and deduct" tactics (Duh). And yes, I have a space heater but since I pay rent for a home with central heat and air I would like to see the landlord fulfill her responsibility as a landlord (Duh).

Tryingtoplease, it's central heat so all I know is I flip the switch on the thermostat and nothing happens.

**A: have you ever read the state L/T law?

TaxiDriver said:

First, does your unit have a standing pilot (continuous flame) or electronic ignition (you hear a tic, tic, tic noise when the furnace is coming on)? You may just need to light the pilot if it has gone out.

If it's electronic ignition try unplugging the furnace for a minute or so and plug it back in. Some units can reset themselves this way.

Have you checked your filter lately? A clogged, dirty filter can cause the unit to malfunction.

Do you have a digital, programmable thermostat (would have a read out on face rather than just a lever you move to turn on heat)? If it is digital, the battery in the tstat may be dead.

And last of all, call your local utility provider. I don't know about in your area, but many utility companies have technicians that can come to your house and attempt to get the furnace running, and it's free.

Hope one of these works for you.

Oh, and IAAL, you forgot to put BBQ in the living room on your list. :D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tryingtoplease said:
First, does your unit have a standing pilot (continuous flame) or electronic ignition (you hear a tic, tic, tic noise when the furnace is coming on)? You may just need to light the pilot if it has gone out.

If it's electronic ignition try unplugging the furnace for a minute or so and plug it back in. Some units can reset themselves this way.

Have you checked your filter lately? A clogged, dirty filter can cause the unit to malfunction.

Do you have a digital, programmable thermostat (would have a read out on face rather than just a lever you move to turn on heat)? If it is digital, the battery in the tstat may be dead.

And last of all, call your local utility provider. I don't know about in your area, but many utility companies have technicians that can come to your house and attempt to get the furnace running, and it's free.

Hope one of these works for you.

MY RESPONSE: Since when did the name of this site change to "This Old Trailer"?

Oh, and IAAL, you forgot to put BBQ in the living room on your list.

MY RESPONSE: I did mention "bonfire" - - that's fairly close.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
Oh, and IAAL, you forgot to put BBQ in the living room on your list.

MY RESPONSE: I did mention "bonfire" - - that's fairly close.

IAAL
Okay, I've gotta give you that one. I should have put the BBQ in the bedroom.

tryingtoplease thanks for your help but I don't live in a trailor, I live in an apartment and I can't find a furnace in the apt...the computer is the only appliance I know anything about. I think the units are all outside. All I've found inside the apt is the water heater and the AC (maybe the AC is also the heater? i really don't know). The thermostat is pretty standard (2 switches: fan-auto/on, cool/off/heat).

Homeguru yes I have read the L/T law but I did not go to law school so I don't always understand all of it and sometimes have to ask for clarification. According to what I read, it seemed like either it did fall under repair and deduct, or I could consider it an unsafe dwelling and just leave. I came here for confirmation. If helping people is such a pain in your ass then why are you on an advice website? :confused:

TaxiDriver said:
tryingtoplease thanks for your help but I don't live in a trailor, I live in an apartment and I can't find a furnace in the apt...the computer is the only appliance I know anything about. I think the units are all outside. All I've found inside the apt is the water heater and the AC (maybe the AC is also the heater? i really don't know). The thermostat is pretty standard (2 switches: fan-auto/on, cool/off/heat).
It's going to be hard to help you on this one I think. I completely understand that you're "HVAC challenged". :) Sounds like your best bet would be to try the local utility company and see if they can send someone out. BTW, the unit could be outside in a closet. It's fairly large so it would be hard to miss if it were in your apt.

Oh, and it was not I that implied you lived in a trailer, just a little jokesy from someone else.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">