• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I live in a illegal apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sweetcherry69

I live in brooklyn ny.I currently live in an illegal apartment This is a 1 family house with an illegal walk in apartment this apartment used to be a dental office.My neighbors from upstairs are currently going to court with my landlord because they have not paid rent in months reason being my landlord doesnt fix anything.I've been living in my apartment for 1 year and since i've been here i have had 3 floods my toilet and bath tub backed up and i had urine and sh*T coming out of both they flooded all over my apartment.i currently have 4 leaks in my kithen and one in my living room and i just bought a new couch and the leak is right over the couch.They have torn down my bathroom ceiling 3 times in the last 6 months.My windows also dont open they are so old i only have one new window they put in before i moved here.Im so sick of living this way.Evertime he gets someone to fix anything they are not licenced to do so.Con ed came here and told me there is a wire hanging by the meters that is a fire hazzard and should be removed asap that was 3 months ago and still it has not been removed the city has been called on him by me my neighbors and yes even one of his hired help called the city on him too.I have a 3 year old and i am scared that something might happen to her. A few years back before i lived here there was an electrical fire upstairs.There are also some kind of tanks in the boiler room from when this was a doctors office.There are also still oxygen connections on my wall but i was told they were disconnected from the main line.Im thinking of not paying anymore rent to this man and save up to move somewhere else.My neighbors are going to court this week and they are going to tell the judge about this illegal apartment so im thinking they are going to ask us to move anyway i dont want to keep giving him rent meanwhile im gonna have to move anyway.Please if anyone knows anything about illegal apartments please let me know.And should i stop paying him rent?What are my rights in this illegal apartment?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

WHO at your city hall has told you that the unit is illegal ? untill you get notice from your city that the unit is illegal its not . that space may have been indeed grandfathered into zoning if it exsisted before zoning rules spelled out definitions of illegal units .

Happy Trails

**Geeze, why don't you just move!? I'm tired of people whining about the awful place they live in. You picked it. Sounds to me you just don't want to pay rent. :rolleyes:

HomeGuru

sweetcherry69 said:
I live in brooklyn ny.I currently live in an illegal apartment This is a 1 family house with an illegal walk in apartment this apartment used to be a dental office.My neighbors from upstairs are currently going to court with my landlord because they have not paid rent in months reason being my landlord doesnt fix anything.I've been living in my apartment for 1 year and since i've been here i have had 3 floods my toilet and bath tub backed up and i had urine and sh*T coming out of both they flooded all over my apartment.i currently have 4 leaks in my kithen and one in my living room and i just bought a new couch and the leak is right over the couch.They have torn down my bathroom ceiling 3 times in the last 6 months.My windows also dont open they are so old i only have one new window they put in before i moved here.Im so sick of living this way.Evertime he gets someone to fix anything they are not licenced to do so.Con ed came here and told me there is a wire hanging by the meters that is a fire hazzard and should be removed asap that was 3 months ago and still it has not been removed the city has been called on him by me my neighbors and yes even one of his hired help called the city on him too.I have a 3 year old and i am scared that something might happen to her. A few years back before i lived here there was an electrical fire upstairs.There are also some kind of tanks in the boiler room from when this was a doctors office.There are also still oxygen connections on my wall but i was told they were disconnected from the main line.Im thinking of not paying anymore rent to this man and save up to move somewhere else.My neighbors are going to court this week and they are going to tell the judge about this illegal apartment so im thinking they are going to ask us to move anyway i dont want to keep giving him rent meanwhile im gonna have to move anyway.Please if anyone knows anything about illegal apartments please let me know.And should i stop paying him rent?What are my rights in this illegal apartment?
**A: here is a very good suggestion. Read the NY L/T law and follow it. If you just move out or stop paying rent, you have not followed the provisions and tenant remedies of the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">