• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need to get out of my lease early without penalty.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsSasha

Connecticut

When I saw my apartment, the Realtor said that she "wasn't sure" what the large cut out hole in my kitchen ceiling was, {maintenance maybe} and that it would be patched before I moved in. I figure they installed new wires or lighting, or heating or whatever. She said it wasn't a cause for concern and it will be covered up when I moved in. It was. However I have been living in my apartment for 5 months now and the kitchen ceiling has leaked/poured water on my floor 4 times since i moved in, from that spot! I emailed and sent pictures about the leak multiple times to the office and only once did someone come to look at it, but never fixed it, even though they said they would. Also, the hot water in my shower rarely ever works. It's either scalding hot for 15 seconds, or freezing cold the entire time. Sometimes maybe once a month, i will get lucky and it well eventually even out to "bearable temperature" for a few minutes before becoming freezing again. (I shower at a friend's house or fill a container in the sink to rinse off once the water gets cold.) There is no middle ground and I an stuck boiling water for my child's bath. They keep saying they will fix it, but it has been 5 months! Still a leaky ceiling in my kitchen and freezing water in my shower. How can I get out of my lease without penalty?

Gail in Georgia

You begin by reviewing the attached:

http://ctlawhelp.org/tenants-rights-repairs-using-housing-code-enforcement-law

It is ALWAYS beneficial to make certain your requests for repairs are in WRITING (NOT emails) so you have documentation of your attempt to notify the landlord of these issues.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">