• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i own my mobile home and the land has a new owner!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kendrakai1987

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California Los angeles county

My husband and I own a mobile home. The previous owners of the mobile home made an illegal addition 20 years ago without getting the proper permits. The old owner of the park never had a problem with it, but the new owner of the park told us to obtain the permits or they will demolish the addition that has been there for 20 years. The city told us we do not have a good chance on obtaining the permits on an addition that has already been made. They also mentioned that the new park owner has intentions on demolishing the entire property and turning it into something new anyways so what would be the point of trying to obtain permits when they are just planning to get rid of everything.. The area we live in does not have rent control. I want to know that if in fact the owner does decided to demolish the entire property are we entitled to relocation aid without living in a rent control area and also we own our mobile home? If we are entitled to relocation aid then i plan to just stick it out and wait for that day to come, if not i want the owners to buy us out and move on! Please advise

atomizer

I seems to me that the addition, though illegal is your private property and he cannot destroy it. If he does, you probably have a case to sue him for the value of the addition and repairs to the rest of the mobile home

Talk to an attorney about this.

KingFahad

I seems to me that the addition, though illegal is your private property and he cannot destroy it. If he does, you probably have a case to sue him for the value of the addition and repairs to the rest of the mobile home

Talk to an attorney about this.
Close -In this situation the mobile home AND the addition would be PERSONAL PROPERTY.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Manufactured Home Owners Network < that is what I found for CA mobile home owners , there may be more links, use a search engine or see what you find in your state govt web page links. What you want to do is learn what your states laws are for manufactured home owners in CA , even with a ownership change the new LL has to follow your states laws. Once you know what the laws are for mobile home park residents then your going to be able to better decide how to deal with the addition and the lack of permit. If you ask the city ,dont be surprised if they tell you they could inspect it if you open the walls and ceiling up. Dont let them again tell you they dont want to bother , if your LL has a long time frame of notice that must be given to close the park it may well be worth it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">